Lapua Brass

farpiece

I just purchased a 260 Rem, and probably start with 140 VLD. Everyone is saying to go with the Lapua brass, how many reloads have y'all gotten out of a case?

I just purchased a 260 Rem, and probably start with 140 VLD. Everyone is saying to go with the Lapua brass, how many reloads have y'all gotten out of a case?
I doubt everyone's saying to use Lapua brass.

I'd use Winchester or Remington and, properly full length resized with the right die, you should get 25 to 30 reloads per case; easily. Great accuracy, too. Sort 'em into 1/2 grain weight spreads and they'll shoot as good as any other. In my opinion, that is.

Lapua is better brass in my opinion, but Bart B is right about blueprinted Winchester Remington being just as accurate.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but I have never had a Remington/Winchester case go 30 rounds...not even close. I would suggest 5-10 to be a more realistic number. I usually pitch Lapua at 10-15 reloads, but you could easily keep going if you wanted. At that many reloads you are looking at completely re-bluepriting the brass...or at least fixing up the neck/dread doughnut.
All of this depends upon pressure. If you load hot any case will be short lived.

A friend of mine shot one .308 Win. case 57 times in his match rifle clamped in his machine rest. Sierra 168's over 42 grains of IMR4895 in a Federal case; a max load. Full length sized every time. All of 'em went inside 3/8th inch center to center.

A friend of mine shot one .308 Win. case 57 times in his match rifle clamped in his machine rest. Sierra 168's over 42 grains of IMR4895 in a Federal case; a max load. Full length sized every time. All of 'em went inside 3/8th inch center to center.

****! That is some serious case life!
In Federal brass yet!?

FWIW I can run 46 grains in my rifle and it is right at 60,000psi (I have pressure testing gear).
44.5 grains makes one hole in my rifle.

if you want the brass to last and push the envelope a little then buy the lapua brand brass, other than that just buy what you can get if your shooting in the safe zone . Lapua has excellent quality brass that will last much longer...

Thanks everyone, didn't mean everyone on LRH was saying to use Lapua, just a few guys at the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts