Lapua brass inconsistency

MTbackwoods

LRH Sponsor
So I recently bought some Lapua brass for 6.5x284 NORMA. This is my first experience with Lapua brass and I must say, I'm not impressed. The case necks are so tight that I HAVE TO use dry lube in order to get them across the expander and about 20% of the case heads have to be muscled in and out of the shell holder. Anyone else seeing anything like this lately? I had much higher expectations

Actually, I have experienced these same issues with Lapua brass I've bought over the last year. I wonder if something changed?

My cases kept separating and it was not due to hot loads. Thankfully I had some NORMA brass and able use even more powder. I may have gotten a bad lot. Tried uploading evidence and it kept rejecting it. Won't use them again for that cartridge.

Actually, I have experienced these same issues with Lapua brass I've bought over the last year. I wonder if something changed?
Well lately everyone likes using the "Covid" excuse but that horse is beaten to pieces. Nobody wants to take responsibility any more and it's getting beyond unacceptable when a person pays a premium price and gets garbage for their investment. However, it sure does make me appreciate the Peterson brass I bought for my 300 win. That stuff was spot on out of the box

MTbackwoods: Well lately everyone likes using the "Covid" excuse but that horse is beaten to pieces. Nobody wants to take responsibility any more and it's getting beyond unacceptable when a person pays a premium price and gets garbage for their investment. However, it sure does make me appreciate the Peterson brass I bought for my 300 win. That stuff was spot on out of the box"

Would you mind contacting Lapua to see what they say?

MTbackwoods: Well lately everyone likes using the "Covid" excuse but that horse is beaten to pieces. Nobody wants to take responsibility any more and it's getting beyond unacceptable when a person pays a premium price and gets garbage for their investment. However, it sure does make me appreciate the Peterson brass I bought for my 300 win. That stuff was spot on out of the box"

Would you mind contacting Lapua to see what they say?
I sent them a message. We'll see what they say

Maybe their quality and qc has dropped. There are quite a few f-class guys who won't shoot a cartridge that doesn't have brass in the blue box. It has been at the top of the game for a long time, but every company can have issues.

I had the same case neck problem with some 6br brass from the. The first few bullets I seated had a die ring around them. Had to lube & neck size with mandrel.

I just loaded some Lapua 6.5x284 cases for the tenth time. They have never been annealed. I never split a neck and the pockets are still tight. Bullet seating went smoothly.

That's what I expect from Lapua!
I too have a good lot of 6.5x284 Lapua brass. Only have two cycles on them,shoot well and problem free to this point. Guess I got a good batch. Purchased a couple years back.

My new Lapua 6.5x284 brass has over the past ten years had neck wall thickness of
.0145" and a neck OD of .290". Headspace has run about .004-.005" under my typical 1.8" chamber dimension…requiring fire forming. Case length runs 2.60"-2.61". A couple of recent purchase are consistent with these dimensions. My prep is to expand necks to .292" OD and cases are fire formed usually requiring two firings to match my chamber. I neck size after my first firing, then FL resize thereafter. Cases are trimmed to .261 at the first full length resizing. I'll anneal after 3-4 firings. Five shot precision with my loads runs .2-.4MOA once brass is fully prepped for FL sizing. Case life runs 8-10 reloads before primer pockets loosen up. Overall I continue to have good success with Lapua brass. Norma brass has worked equally well, but with 2-3gr less case capacity…and has been usually harder to find. Shooting results are comparable to Lapua. I tried Hornady brass once about 5 years ago and it would not chamber in my rifles.

Recent Posts