land marks

reed

I'm loading 210 bergers, and I wanted to try to find the lands, so I polished the bullet real well, seated a couple, loaded and closed the bolt. The bullet shows land marks on only half the bullet when I extract it, do I need to seat deeper or out further out,

Travis

Twist bullet in 0000 steel wool. Increase length until you see number of squares equal to number of lands.

Rectangles showing lengthways of bullet too deep. Rectangles across bullet or not all lands showing, too shallow.

Seat further out.

Just in case, are you sure that the scratches on one half the bullet are not scratch marks from ejection?? I hope for your sake they are because the alternative isn't very good.

It's not ejector marks, at first I blackened bullet with a candle and loaded, and kept seating deeperuntil I didn't see marks, when I did this I had marks whole way around. After I decided where to start loads I loaded some up and shot at 300yds to find load and could only manage 3-4" groups, so I figured I would recheck and thats when I noticed that only half bullrt had land marks.

Travis

Are you full length resizing. If you are, it is theoretically possible that your case is being shoved towards the ejection side of your chamber by the springloaded ejection plug causing the bullet to touch the right lands first??? Not sure if this makes sense, just brainstorming here ;). As Tyler said, you are still getting groups that arnt too bad here. I'm no gunsmith, but as I think about it, I don't think it is possible for the rifleing to be cut at different lengths. They are cut by a rotary tool and there would have to be some absolutely horrible things going on to get ther rifling cut to different lenghts. If you are fl sizing and you do have a spring loaded ejector, I would consider doing PFL resizing or neck sizing. Just another thought.

gun is a 300wthby 40* shoulder, trued action, sako extractor, 27" hart barrel, rem 700, I am full length sizing my cases.

Travis

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.