Lake Michigan Drownings

Muddyboots

Ok, we talk about bear attacks all the time and lack of common sense at times. Lake Michigan set record last year with 53; it is "ahead of the 2020 pace" this year with well over 20 so far. Last week, 2 fisherman were washed off pier in extreme wave (5-7') conditions washing over the piers. Saved one and just found second yesterday. I have been around Great Lakes over 50+ years and the lack of respect for these bodies of water is simply astounding. The number of drownings while swimming in red flag days is crazy primarily due to rip currents.

Even boating has become head scratchers. Folks heading out in small craft warnings in boats that belong on inland lakes during those conditions. Heck, I helped a guy few years back that tried to go out in a CANOE! Yep, flipped it in early May which means dangerously cold and potentially fatal. Hauled his dumb *** into boat which BTW was tough as heck. No PFD on either. Then he says "save my gear"! Nope, got his canoe and rest of stuff is somewhere!

So I ask you, how can the severity of the Great Lakes be completely ignored on such a continuous basis? Is this simply natural Darwinism?

I don't know if you've been watching the voting in your state, but they seem to be manufacturing morons up there at an alarming rate.

I mean, Gretchen Whitmer? I'm surprised there aren't piers up there where they are lined up like lemmings, waiting in single file lines to fall to their deaths.

Stupidity is the one human super power that continues to swell among the ranks. Most humans should live in cities and never stray far from their zip code.
Many people on the water, even in the best weather, are hazards unto themselves. Death is like an opportunistic wharf rat, catching a ride whenever the feeding looks plentiful.

fished on the great lakes majority of my life I can tell you that it can change on a dime.

Grew up in MI, spent a lot of time on the water. I miss the suddenly intense and violent storms that could whip up.
As we used to say, "don't like the weather? Stick around ten minutes...."

I don't know if you've been watching the voting in your state, but they seem to be manufacturing morons up there at an alarming rate.

I mean, Gretchen Whitmer? I'm surprised there aren't piers up there where they are lined up like lemmings, waiting in single file lines to fall to their death

Didn't vote for her. But in a tough situation she's done an ok job. Tennessee is in top five for covid rates. How's your governor doing ?

Didn't vote for her. But in a tough situation she's done an ok job. Tennessee is in top five for covid rates. How's your governor doing ?
Covid rates?

You mean senior citizens. You see, nobody retires and moves up north. Do you have any more questions? I am not busy today, so I'll swat softballs for you.

As far as governors go, mine recently banned the teaching of critical race theory in schools, you know, where they tell kids that they are all racist from birth. Your governor was one of the first to demand that they demonize elementary school kids. If you see anything positive from your governor, you are part of the problem.

Oh brother. Here we go. There is just no civil debate any longer. Jump right to insults. And the first to throw stones and devolve to insults. Still not one truth in any of your criticisms. I stated facts. Have a great day and be safe out there.

Last edited:
Oh brother. Here we go. There is just no civil debate any longer. Jump right to insults. Have a great day and be safe out there.
If you wanted civil debate, you would have stuck to the discussion about lake Michigan or your governor, since that was what my comment was about. You tried some sly passive aggressive garbage with the "how's your governor doing?" I responded in kind and now you are aggrieved. This is absolutely typical of liberals in debate. If this conversation continued for a few more exchanges, you'd eventually call me a "racist". We've all seen this before.

Anyways, I apologize for derailing the conversation, and I hope it can return to its original course. I was only attempting to be humorous.

I have been off shore in both Atlantic & Pacific oceans and have seen some real bad stuff; from what I have heard and quite logically, the great lakes have this bad feature that the off shore oceans don't have, there is a limited amount of space for large vessels to run. At this stage in my life I am filled with dread about big water and the thought of being out of sight of land freaks me out.

Appropriate post for those after ducks, salmons, or fishes. Shark week on TV drives me away from the TV to my nice, safe, comfortable, gun-ops room on the lower level.