KY whitetail

dogbuster0006

Finally got back home for the first time in over a yr and it was time to get after it.
The pics below are the results of my buddies 300weatherby mag and 180gr corlocks at about 40 yd. I went to help him skin out a couple does he had gotten a few days earlier, as we pulled in the gate up to the barn we saw several large does moving through the brush. He is still laughing at me about trying to ready my bow as rifle season was still going where we were at. So grabbing his rifle I stepped out put on my orange walked a few yards and took a knee. I picked out the biggest of the group and waited for her to clear the brush. She stopped facing me about 40-45yds, as I clicked off the safety she pointed her ears and stuck her head right at me. I centered the cross hairs at the base of her neck and squeezed one off. I caught her at exactly at poa and the bullet entered just about the chest plate and juiced her shoulder. I never found an exit and didn't recover any bullet fragments. I would call it rapid expansion as everything between entrance and shoulder were quite literally juiced.
it's been plenty cold here in ky this yr apparently I brought in the cold weather with me from Alaska. I've seen dozens of deer here while bow hunting and harvested a big doe this morning. I'm waiting on my optic to come in to get the crossbow ready again and get my niece out after a few. She's 8 and informed me we will be chasing squirrels this evening. We have a big infestation of them here.
The last pic is of our family after thanksgiving dinner, once everyone pretty well moved off back home we spend the evening watching for and counting the deer in the cornfields around the house. We all had a heck of time and can't wait to do it again.
This link is to the video of skinning her out in the barn, it's what that load will do at that range and quite impressive...lol [ame]http://youtu.be/PmSdNu8aC8w[/ame]

Attachments

• IMAG0562.jpg
    IMAG0562.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMAG0564.jpg
    IMAG0564.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMAG0563.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG0571.jpg
    IMAG0571.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMAG0569.jpg
    IMAG0569.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 115
Nice work for sure. I know there are a lot of doe hunters here on the forums, but it seems like doe hunting is under rated for sure. Those medallions that you cooked are the reason my family and I are all about the does!

Good job, and thanks for posting!!!

Joe

Yeah, the .300 Magnums are pretty mean. A friend of mine hunts with a .300 Win. Mag. and loves it. I just use a .308. I know boring. Right?

Until this yr I had always hunted with a 243win and occasionally a 308 when long shots were possible. I got a good deal on a 25-06 and it'll be my go to for a while, the areas I hunt now have the possibility of 600-700yd now and my 25-06 doesn't kick like my 7rem. I would quite call myself a recoil sissy but, if I can reach out and connect without getting beat up I see no reason to get beat up with more gun than I need. I love my 308 but it's a heavy barreled rem 700 and not fun to pack, my 25 is a Ruger m77 with a med weight sporter barrel stock cerca 1971 I've done a trigger job and it shoots like a dream. Maybe I got super lucky and snagged one with the older duglas barrel I'm not 100% sure, it shoots the daylights out of 115 berger vld so I'm happy with it. The blueing is almost worn of on the bolt handle and a few places on the barrel, the stock has scratches in several places it's definitely been carried in the field for many many years. On initial cleaning it's been glass bedded and looks like a really professional job. I've got a laminate stock that'll fit it and will probably replace it but, that's a project for a slow wkend. I'm considering re-bluing it too simply because it's not pretty, it's been a work horse for someone for many many years and completely utilitarian but a great shooter.

Until this yr I had always hunted with a 243win and occasionally a 308 when long shots were possible. I got a good deal on a 25-06 and it'll be my go to for a while, the areas I hunt now have the possibility of 600-700yd now and my 25-06 doesn't kick like my 7rem. I would quite call myself a recoil sissy but, if I can reach out and connect without getting beat up I see no reason to get beat up with more gun than I need. I love my 308 but it's a heavy barreled rem 700 and not fun to pack, my 25 is a Ruger m77 with a med weight sporter barrel stock cerca 1971 I've done a trigger job and it shoots like a dream. Maybe I got super lucky and snagged one with the older duglas barrel I'm not 100% sure, it shoots the daylights out of 115 berger vld so I'm happy with it. The blueing is almost worn of on the bolt handle and a few places on the barrel, the stock has scratches in several places it's definitely been carried in the field for many many years. On initial cleaning it's been glass bedded and looks like a really professional job. I've got a laminate stock that'll fit it and will probably replace it but, that's a project for a slow wkend. I'm considering re-bluing it too simply because it's not pretty, it's been a work horse for someone for many many years and completely utilitarian but a great shooter.
The .25-06 is a great caliber and I've known several hunters over the years that have used one. I've never heard any of them say that they needed something "better".

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts