• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Knife Sharpening For Members

Sharp isn't the issue. The meathead took too much off it that it reshaped it. Made the "shiny" edge more than it needed to be. Needless to say, I am not a fan of the banded electric sharpeners for these things. Sorry to derail Brad, you are doing a good thing here.

View attachment 327821

holy shit GIF

Proffesional knife makers use a belt sander to do the initial grind,the grind angle is usually up to the sharpener,or knife design choice.The belt system they use is more like a 2'' and a very expensive machine.Not typical homeowner stuff.My one knife maker friend also has a special built upright disc with reversing switch,runs fine grit 1000,etc for final grind,then buffer.Dangerous sharp when finished.

I can understand your reluctance. I use a Wicked Edge system for my knives, and probably have about $1500+ into all of my various diamond stones, lapping patens, & stropping leathers/compounds.
I can put a razor edge with a mirror polish on anything, with minor imperfections only discernable through a good loupe, but that takes a LOT of time compared to simply putting a quality working edge on something.
The biggest problem I encounter is when I'm given cheap knives to sharpen. The factory bevels and general angle consistency is so far off on most of those, that they almost always require more time and effort to get right than a high quality blade.
I stopped doing cheap blades altogether.
I'd put a long lasting, perfect working edge on quality steel for $20, but that "safe queen" razor sharp convex mirror edge... I wouldn't even entertain for less than $75.