kind of an odd question but here it goes.

6.5x300 WBY

I recently acquired a rem 700 BDL in 30-06 from my brother who kind of recently passed away. Pancreatic cancer at 50 took him.

Well my brother said he never wants his guns sold and I get that. But its a really old BDL that he has had for a long time. Not sure of the year but its like 20+ years old. Looks good too.

I am going to get new optics for it for sure as I don't know how he could even see through the older ones. Ancient Bushnell 3x9. UGG.

I am also going to get a recoil pad probably a limbsaver pad for it.

But here is the big question that really bothers me the most. If I did a rebarrel of this gun in the future to a 24 inch whatever would you think that doing these changes makes this gun less of the one I got and kind of takes the gun that was his to remember him by and change all that. If you know what I mean. I want it to still be my brothers and still have the memories of him when I take it to the field. I don't want to loose the THIS WAS MY BROTHERS gun and mess that up.

I just didn't know where to post this and I am sure its not a good topic in any place here. But hope to get some answers.

Still having a hard time with his loss back in November

Brian

I feel for you man....
I have the same issue. Several guns that were family members, can never be sold.
My Father stopped hunting for health reasons and he gifted me his 26-06, brass ammo all of it. I refinished it, had the crown cut etc.
I regret having done so, because all the scratch's and dings were memories of his hunts, not mine.
Luckily I gave it back to him and made him shoot it and drag it around some more, so it has some of his marks on it, but I regret having messed with it...
I would scope it, shoot it and just keep it as is for his memory...

I re-barreled my fathers Remington after I inherited it. It took a year or so for me sort out my feelings about doing it, quiet like what you are feeling.

My deciding factor was that the rifle just wasnt very accurate with the original barrel and wouldn't have been used at all in its condition. Rebarreled however I'm much more likely to use it and think of his memory and I'm sure my father would approve of my using his rifle in this way.
Otherwise it would definitely have been in a safe and rarely seen.
Yes, re-barreling does change the fact that it isn't exactly the same exact rifle in every small detail but if re-barreling it makes you more likely to use it and thus feel closser to him every time you use it I bet any money your brother would approve.

I recently acquired a rem 700 BDL in 30-06 from my brother who kind of recently passed away. Pancreatic cancer at 50 took him.

Well my brother said he never wants his guns sold and I get that. But its a really old BDL that he has had for a long time. Not sure of the year but its like 20+ years old. Looks good too.

I am going to get new optics for it for sure as I don't know how he could even see through the older ones. Ancient Bushnell 3x9. UGG.

I am also going to get a recoil pad probably a limbsaver pad for it.

But here is the big question that really bothers me the most. If I did a rebarrel of this gun in the future to a 24 inch whatever would you think that doing these changes makes this gun less of the one I got and kind of takes the gun that was his to remember him by and change all that. If you know what I mean. I want it to still be my brothers and still have the memories of him when I take it to the field. I don't want to loose the THIS WAS MY BROTHERS gun and mess that up.

I just didn't know where to post this and I am sure its not a good topic in any place here. But hope to get some answers.

Still having a hard time with his loss back in November

Brian
The action is the heart of any rifle and the 700 action is the most popular action in the US by far and wide.

If it were me, I'd take it to a good gunsmith and have it bedded, floated, and pillars installed before I even tried to shoot it for accuracy. While it's there you might as well get the barell and chamber inspected so you'll know for sure you're starting with something capable of accuracy before spending any more on it.

Your brother I'm sure would want you to get all of the enjoyment out of it you can so I wouldn't worry at all about him not appreaciating the upgrades.

Thanks so much guys. That was the exact responses I was looking for. I am going to get some good ammo for it and see where it is. Optics and recoil pad is a for sure. The rebarrel is only a ? At this time. For all I know it might be a real shooter. If so I will shoot it till its shot out then rebarrel. Thanks again. You guys hit exactly how I am feeling about this. I mean exactly.

Thanks

Brian

That's a tuff one. You need to think about what the gun meant to your brother and if there is someone to pass it down too. Would it mean more To you to hunt with it modified or unchanged and unused.

I have a similar issue with my dads 30-06. It's nothing special needs quite a bit of upgrades to make it useable to my standards. The gun didn't mean much to my dad but it meant a lot to me admiring it as a youth and the hunts with my dad. I chose not to modify it and let it sit in my safe. I pull it out and hold it once in a while and it brings back memories.

Good thing is you have time to decide and be sure. Not a wrong answer in this situation

Thx plinker. It's amazing how you guys know exactly how I feel about this. I am thinking that some minor changes are necessary but not a total redue.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all your replies and help. Now I know where I am going with this one.

Much appreciated in this difficult situation I am going through.

Brian

That is a tough one. I was in a similar spot having inherited a 30-06 Weatherby from my uncle when he passed. He lived in Anchorage and had taken it everywhere from moose to caribou to sheep. When I got it the bluing was thin and missing, with nicks all over the stock. I think you have to consider what they would want - do they want a gun YOU will enjoy or just a legacy to remember them by. I know my uncle would want me to use it, hunt with it, and enjoy it for many years. To do that, it required me to get the metal refinished so it didn't end up in a rust pile in 15 years. It so far has the same barrel and action, but will someday get a new barrel to last the generations after me. It sports the same stock/marks, but I did have it professionally laser engraved with a moose, my uncles name, and the years of life. It does sport a different trigger and scope now, but again only things that make it more usable for me.

It all comes down to their intent and yours. If they match up, then don't regret it and be confident moving forward. I know when I pass I would want my guns used and enjoyed. My opinion is that guns are meant to shoot, and if all they amount to is wall hangers to remember me, then I didn't do enough outside the hunting realm to leave a positive memory for my loved ones.

Ya see what it does and make a decision. It could shoot well, if not a bedding job and a new crown could help too. To me the action and stock is what's important, but that's my opinion. I have a .300 husqvarna model A from my grandpa that shoots under MOA. Made around 1970. He took it Africa and Alaska. Smoothest action I've ever felt. Love that gun.

Thanks again guys. I feel very confident about what I am going to do. Start small with changes and go from there. A recoil pad as his is the one with nothing but a black plate. Lol. Next with be rings bases and new scope. I mean I have to see to be able to shoot. So that's a must. I just hope it's a shooter to some degree and I will rebarrel it if necessary.

And your right I don't just want it to sit in my safe he would of wanted me to shoot it and enjoy. Which is what I am going to do.

I feel much better about my decisions. I feel he would be ok with it.

RIP BROTHER AND THANK YOU FOR TAKING ME HUNTING THAT FRST DAY AND GETTING ME HOOKED ON HUNTING AND SHOOTING.. LOVE YA

I'll refrain from offering my take on your way forward other than to say this post is a timely and pertinent reminder to ensure ones affairs are always in good order and with no unreasonable demands on Kith & Kin.

GSH

When I inherited my Dad's guns I laied them out on a table and brought the family in and after I pulled the gun I wanted to remember him by, I let my sisters kids pick what they wanted. The only stipulation was if they got hard up for money and needed to sell the gun, they had to come to me our my sisters to sell it. My dads guns were tools and all were told to use them however they wanted just remeber the history.

The gun I kept was an old Remington 700 ADL 270. My dad had put a new Boyd's thumb hole stock and he messed with that gun for years trying to get it to shoot better. When I got it I spent days cleaning the barrel of years of copper and powder fowling, then I bedded the stock that was so loose a fit, that there was no way his POI could have stayed the same. Now it shoots great and I only had wished I had done this for him and let him enjoy his gun before he died.

Long story short, get the barrel clean, check the bedding, replace the scope and re-coil pad and enjoy hunting with your brothers gun.

HR, that is exactly what he said. He had a well son from a girlfriend that were together for 12 years. It wasn't his flesh and blood but he raised that boy and little girl. The boy actually was given ALL the guns but said to me that please take anything you want as I know it was what you and your brother had in common. That was our thing. So I grabbed WHT I wanted which was what brought back memories for me. But I also told the boy if you ever are considering selling for money or just don't want come to me. My brother absolutely wants the guns in the family. So I am the only one to go to if they want to sell.

Funny we all have a lot in common when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks again for insights.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.