Kimber Mountain Ascent 6.5CM Help

30 Hammer

Recently I was Blessed to win a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 6.5CM and a Leupold V6HD 3-18x44 scope package from Wild Sheep Foundation for the new life member drawing.

I have heard so many bad things about the accuracy from the Kimbers but then there are some that love them. Here is what I plan to do before I even shoot it - let me know your thoughts.

1. Re crown muzzle concentric to bore.

2. Lap barrel.

3. Adjust trigger down to 2.5.

4. Bed the stock.

5. Check the front action screw to make sure it isn't too long. Cut if needed.

6. Check front scope base screw to make sure it isn't too long. Cut if needed.

7. Lap the oem Talley scope rings.

Let me know what I am missing if you see anything.

Next - does anyone have any great hunting loads they'd like to share? I'm open to bullet brand / weights.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Man what a score! I had a mountain accent in 6.5CM a year ago. It shot really well And the only reason I sold it was because I was offered more than what I paid for it new. I didn't do any of the tweks to mine but Id say it sure wouldn't hurt.
Can't find my notes but I was shooting 135 berger classic with 4350 and it shot under 1 moa. Also tried some 85 gr Sierra hollow points and they were super accurate with varget. Intent there was for coyotes. Good luck and I hope you got a good one

Chris

Before you go through the time and expense of the modifications you described, shoot it !

Some of them shoot great right out of the box , some need help .

Good morning :)

Are you in Idaho? Your name tends to tell me you are !

I'm in Eagle. Jim over at Elite usually does the work I am describing except for the screws and scope work on every new gun for me. I just like knowing it's perfect , he's really fair in his prices and if he gets it apart and it doesn't need bedding he lets me know. On a new Nosler M48 he called and said the barrels lapped from the factory and the bedding is perfect. I trust him with this.

I always like to lap and re crown since it makes break in and cleaning easier and the factory's crown off of the OD and not the bore. Again I just like knowing what I have then when I shoot it I'm not chasing multiple potential items and I know I'm squeezing every ounce of accuracy available out of it.

This is the package. I won from New Life Memeber drawing. Way excited about this!

Attachments

• 64BE0D58-4558-49FD-A34A-AF8D4447FDC0.jpeg
    64BE0D58-4558-49FD-A34A-AF8D4447FDC0.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 664
That's a really nice score !
I'm not really sure what your lapping process is but it may void any warranty Kimber has, if they have one. Does Kimber not lap their barrels ? You also might want to add flush cups and or a bipod rail and make sure the barrel is still floated when on the bipod. It looks like it comes with a brake (??) so are you talking about recrowning the brake ?

Last edited:
Yes I'm in Idaho, the rifle may need some attention and it may not . Sounds like you have a smith you have confidence in if you need.

I always shoot a newly acquired rifle prior any work that may need to be done. That way I have a benchmark to go off of .

That's a really nice score !
I'm not really sure what your lapping process is but it may void any warranty Kimber has, if they have one. Does Kimber not lap their barrels ? You also might want to add flush cups and or a bipod rail and make sure the barrel is still floated when on the bipod.

Great point on the bipod rail.

They come with a 1 MOA guaranty. I'd shoot it first to see if it lives up to the factory guaranty. Don't do anything that voids a warranty until you shoot it. Get a 1 MOA gun and try to make it better. Don't start with a 2 MOA gun, void the warranty, and then try and make it shoot better.

You left off adjust trigger pull (lighten). A must for a light gun like that. **EDIT** Missed that you you had that on the list.

Last edited:
They come with a 1 MOA guaranty. I'd shoot it first to see if it lives up to the factory guaranty. Don't do anything that voids a warranty until you shoot it. Get a 1 MOA gun and try to make it better. Don't start with a 2 MOA gun, void the warranty, and then try and make it shoot better.

You left off adjust trigger pull (lighten). A must for a light gun like that.

Thank you! I did have trigger at #3 on my list to adjust to 2.5lbs. The gunsmith will be doing this for me.

I can't over emphasis to shoot it well before you do anything to a new gun. Learned this the hard way. Great score for sure.

Mine shot great from the start. It got a little faster after 100-120 rounds through it. That's normal according to my gunsmith. I had him look at it before I shot it. He said to run a couple hundred rounds through it then bring it in if it needs work.
I adjusted the trigger a bit lighter and that is it.
On your list of items to check, add: magazine box - check for binding due to it being to tall. Fix by filing the little legs on the bottom a bit until it doesn't bind. That was an issue on my wife's Montana.
I have only ran 140 grain factory loads through it so far, starting to reload for it next week. It will take some doing to improve on the grouping though.
Terry

Congrats on the win. I wouldn't touch the crown or lap the barrel until I shot it. I have two friends who both shoot Kimber Montanas in 280AI, the Accuracy is impressive for suck a light barreled rifle. I would go through the rest of your list though. Those Kimber actions are one of my favorites.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.