Kill Light or just a green SPOTLİGHT ??

soundwaves

l hunt wild boar in moonlight. just found out that people are useing spotlights with green or red glass to hunt hogs and foxes. can someone explane this for me pls ? dont the animals see the green or red lights ? as l have seen spotlights called kill light on cabelas. if this is true it will really make a huge difarance in the amount of wildboar, foxes and rabirs and hair l shoot.

and info would be great. thanks.

l hunt wild boar in moonlight. just found out that people are useing spotlights with green or red glass to hunt hogs and foxes. can someone explane this for me pls ? dont the animals see the green or red lights ? as l have seen spotlights called kill light on cabelas. if this is true it will really make a huge difarance in the amount of wildboar, foxes and rabirs and hair l shoot.

and info would be great. thanks.

I've used a number of lights hog hunting. Green and red have worked successfully for me. My advice would be to use the widest beam possible when shining for hogs. If you use a narrow beam that is bright, it is much more likely to scare off the hogs. I would use the widest and dimmest beam that still allows you to see the hogs. Beams of light that are too narrow and bright will scare off the hogs, or at least they have when I used them.

It has to do with the way the animals eyes work. Animals see things differently than humans. A regular white spotlight seems to spook most critters. But hogs don't seem to mind the green or red filtered lights. Most predators aren't bothered by the red. I will tell you from experiance that it is a very effective method. I would recommend that you go with a red light. That way you get the best of both worlds. I've used the Kill Light. It works very well.

good knowledge for me as well. thank you,

if I can, id like to expand on the questioning here, I don't hunt hogs often, but have a decent standard spot light, can I buy some sort of red/green film to cover it for the hunt?

there is supposed to be green lights at the feeders, but i'm not going to count of them working, or being effective enough to see what I want to shoot at.

I did a non-scientific test a few years ago with 3 lights, all the same made and model, but with different LEDs in them (white, red, green). That was as comparable as I could do the test between the colors. I then proceeded to spotlight animals as they walked up to a water hole. I was on a water tower, approximately 40 yards away.

Basically what I found was that generally speaking, red seemed to bother them the least. Red also offered the least clarity for me to see. I understand that is a product of the longer wavelength. Green seemed to bother animals less. White bothered them the most. It was not uncommon to illuminate the animals with each color and have one or more lift its head and look at the light. So they did see the lights. The worst reactions were when they got lit up and they just ran.

Keep in mind that these are generality statements and NOT absolutes.

All colors of light were seen by the animals, though they likely cannot see red as red, but probably see it as a gray illumination. Keep in mind that being red/green colorblind (as many animals apparently are) does not mean things of a given color are invisible to you, just that you don't see them in their distinctive color.

I have seen the videos for folks selling lights where they claim a proprietary color that animals "can't see" and they offer proof by shining their light on an animal that does not react. This is an ignorant conclusion at best and likely balls-out deceitful statement. I have lit up hogs, coyotes, raccoons, and deer with white light and they didn't respond. That doesn't mean that they were blind to the light, only that it did not bother them at that time.

It was suggested above to use a wide beam. That isn't bad advice. Also, slowly lowering the beam down on animals seems to spook them a lot less than suddenly lighting them up which seems to illicit a startle response, sometimes causing them to run away.

Not only can animals such as hogs see red light (though as noted, not see it as red), they can also see the dull red glow emitted my infrared illuminators. While the light shown from such lights may be truly invisible to the hogs, the illuminators themselves produce a small amount of visible light that can be seem, even if it doesn't shine with any intensity on the targets.

Powerful lights will get noticed by animals more than weak lights as well.

I did a non-scientific test a few years ago with 3 lights, all the same made and model, but with different LEDs in them (white, red, green). That was as comparable as I could do the test between the colors. I then proceeded to spotlight animals as they walked up to a water hole. I was on a water tower, approximately 40 yards away.

Basically what I found was that generally speaking, red seemed to bother them the least. Red also offered the least clarity for me to see. I understand that is a product of the longer wavelength. Green seemed to bother animals less. White bothered them the most. It was not uncommon to illuminate the animals with each color and have one or more lift its head and look at the light. So they did see the lights. The worst reactions were when they got lit up and they just ran.

Keep in mind that these are generality statements and NOT absolutes.

All colors of light were seen by the animals, though they likely cannot see red as red, but probably see it as a gray illumination. Keep in mind that being red/green colorblind (as many animals apparently are) does not mean things of a given color are invisible to you, just that you don't see them in their distinctive color.

I have seen the videos for folks selling lights where they claim a proprietary color that animals "can't see" and they offer proof by shining their light on an animal that does not react. This is an ignorant conclusion at best and likely balls-out deceitful statement. I have lit up hogs, coyotes, raccoons, and deer with white light and they didn't respond. That doesn't mean that they were blind to the light, only that it did not bother them at that time.

It was suggested above to use a wide beam. That isn't bad advice. Also, slowly lowering the beam down on animals seems to spook them a lot less than suddenly lighting them up which seems to illicit a startle response, sometimes causing them to run away.

Not only can animals such as hogs see red light (though as noted, not see it as red), they can also see the dull red glow emitted my infrared illuminators. While the light shown from such lights may be truly invisible to the hogs, the illuminators themselves produce a small amount of visible light that can be seem, even if it doesn't shine with any intensity on the targets.

Powerful lights will get noticed by animals more than weak lights as well.

That'll be the best advice you get. Green helps you see a little further, but red is my personal preference as well. Used all kinds of different lights on hundreds of pigs, and I've come to the same conclusion.

I have began to notice a pretty large difference in response to the lights as time goes on, though. It seems that some of the pigs that make it out of the ambush have grown up and have a VERY good idea of what the lights are.

Some stick around and pay no mind. Some hall *** when they see the light shine in the air. It's been a noticeable change that I'll continue to monitor.

My experiences with spot lights on non game has been interesting, I found that with a spotlight (Red or Green) That if I didn't point it directly at the game (Hold it above horizontal and let the fringes of light aluminate there eyes) that they rarely spooked until you hit them with the full beam but gave you time to make a shot. This works very well on hogs and coyotes. you can also minimize the chances of spooking, if the spot light can be turned of intermittently as the game gets closer.

Now with the new illuminator/lasers (The kind that you can focus from a straight beam to a round spot) they work very good in conjunction with a spot light. The spotlight has enough power to see the eyes hundreds of yards away and I use the green laser as an illuminator to light up the area well enough to use the scope crosshairs.

Normally I hunt varmints with a friend, and we take turns shooting and handling the spot light.
The person doing the shooting also does the calling. the person using the spotlight has to concentrate on where the light is and spots the game. It is important that you never shine the spotlight directly at any game because no mater what color the light is they can still see it and depending on the intensity of the light they may/will spook.

Just the way I use lighting for night hunting.

J E CUSTOM

spdcrazy a quick and easy way to make a red or greed lens is to put clear plastic or clear plastic wrap over your light. Put a rubber band around it to hold it on. Then take a magic marker and color it whatever color you want. A great light for the money can be found at Walmart. The Stanley Fatmax comes with a detachable red lense for about $50.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts