Kestrel Horus .. time to trade up?

Jay Kyle

Hi Guys,
I've been using my Kestrel Horus - still works ok - but I see the Applied Ballistics Kestrel becoming more popular so I'm wondering if I should trade up or not.

Any thoughts?

I am not a very good shot. I am very anal about having the most accurate shooting solution to help me make up for this short coming. The Kestrel AB does this plus holds info on all your rifles and gives you the wind. Plus is light weight and fits in your pocket. without a doubt the best shooting tool on the market. The AB matches the G7 you can google and pull up. The Horus I do not know about. I do know if you can upgrade for not a lot it is the way to go.

I've been curious about that Kestrel model that syncs data with that Bushnell range finder and has the Applied Ballistics... I wonder if it lives up to the marketing.

I've been curious about that Kestrel model that syncs data with that Bushnell range finder and has the Applied Ballistics... I wonder if it lives up to the marketing.

I had a quick look and the concept is interesting, but the Bushnell Range finder left me underwhelmed - but most do since I'm running with a Terrapin.

I see where the AB Kestrel can outshine the Horus - in the transonic and subsonic ranges - not for hunting but great fun for general shooting.

Two weeks ago we were lobbing 300 Win Mag bullets out to 1995 yards just for the fun of it - not much accuracy but certainly fun to reach out there. We were shooting into a scree field on the side of a mountain. An AB Kestrel would have been nice to have then.

For years I used to be stuck in the mindset that I had to be good at short distance before I moved to longer distances. We'll that's correct for hunting, but for general fun - step outside the box and throw them way out there!! That's what makes this sport fun!

..then work on your accuracy to bring them in - all the while knowing for hunting you need "minute of deer" 8/10 times

Defn: Minute of Deer - Terminal Performance has the right amount of kill power and the right amount of accuracy to cleanly harvest your game animal at distance

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.