Ken Light’s BC 1000 Automatic Case Annealer

ss7mm

I've got a question about Ken Light's Annealer. I know of several people that have recommended it highly and have nothing but good to say about it. My question is, do any of you have this unit and if so what do you think of it and any suggestions about setup and use?

My wife bought me one for Christmas with two extra plates, but in talking with Ken, it probably won't be here until along about the middle to the end of next month. Ken says he's running behind, so business must be good. I don't have any doubt that it'll do the job, I'm just curious about whether anybody here has one and what they have experienced in using it.

If no one has one, then I'll do a report after I get mine up and running.

You can see it "HERE" on Ken's web page.

Don't know anything about it, but it does look sexy for an annealing machine. You can use it to warm your loading room/shop too. Roast hotdogs in the summer and marshmellows in the winter. I also think it pretty cool your wife bought it for you.

I use one that is basically an exact copy made by Leonard Baity in NC. Key is using two torches, getting the annealing to be uniform each time all the way around the neck.

Really have to watch getting them too soft. Ruined about 100 cases first time until I learned the tricks.

Quite a few 1k BR shooters are using the Baity machine.

BH

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> Key is using two torches, getting the annealing to be uniform each time all the way around the neck. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

From the pic it looks like each torch hits the brass at the same angle. Can you aim the torches so they hit different sides of the brass?

Folks in the 50 community swear by Ken's annealer.
My Annealing page

annealer.gif

b1g_b0re:

It's my understanding that the angle of the torches can be adjusted. The cases rotate while going around in the wheel and this allows the flame of the torches to evenly contact the neck/shoulder area.

The initial setup will take a while to get it just right and after that each session will be a very quick and easy startup.

what makes the case rotate?
Does it rotate at the flame or do they turn all the time as they are rotated on the bottom plate?

"Quite a few 1k BR shooters are using the Baity machine"
Do you have a link for this one?
Thanks /Dave

Bottom plate has rough finish on it and as the top plate turns slowly, it turns the brass in the holes. Brass rotates thru the flames and turns at the same time. Brass then drops out of the bottom into a pan.

Key is follow the directions, use old brass for practice. Adjust the flame to be on the neck and top of shoulder, not down on the body.

Measure the spring back you are getting when the neck is sized.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.