Keep or sell?

338weatherby

I am new to the forum but have been reading lots of posts for awhile. I am debating on selling my 338-378 Weatherby. I've had the rifle since 1998 when it was introduced. I went through factory ammo in the beginning to get brass and then spent a few years loading up different loads. I've not used it a lot and since then I've gravitated towards custom builds and non magnums (or at least not top end mags). I originally wanted the .340 and when the this one came out I had to have it. Now there are many other options and lots of great builder for 338's. So, I'm wondering if I should keep this one and spend more time working on loads and not just look for max all of the time or sell and have something built? I currently have a custom 700 338-06, a 700 7x57AI, a custom pre 64 70 7x57AI, and a 7 saum in the works. Also have a 9.3x62. The bigger 338 would be to cover the ranges over 350-400 yards that the '06 and 9.3 won't. Maybe I'm just thinking of ways to spend more, but the 378 has lost it's luster to me.

Hoping for some opinions on basically selling the 338-378 and building a 338RUM or something else? I'm thinking 1000 yards self imposed max.
While in quarantine I finished my 338 Win. Mag. build that I always wanted and after trying out some 225's and 180's I am now thinking of a 338 X 284. Why you ask? I have another 338 barrel blank and plenty of 30 X 284 brass to neck-up. I think until you scratch that itch you may never know, so just remove the barrel and put on another 338 and chamber it for what you want.
I think 338-378 is a great round and you may want to hang onto it and go the full custom route or not.

While in quarantine I finished my 338 Win. Mag. build that I always wanted and after trying out some 225's and 180's I am now thinking of a 338 X 284. Why you ask? I have another 338 barrel blank and plenty of 30 X 284 brass to neck-up. I think until you scratch that itch you may never know, so just remove the barrel and put on another 338 and chamber it for what you want.
I think 338-378 is a great round and you may want to hang onto it and go the full custom route or not.
Decided to keep the 338-378. Planning a 338 RUM build to be light and packable. I felt I'd regret selling the Weatherby the minute it sold. I think a new scope and loads are in order for it.

I am new to the forum but have been reading lots of posts for awhile. I am debating on selling my 338-378 Weatherby. I've had the rifle since 1998 when it was introduced. I went through factory ammo in the beginning to get brass and then spent a few years loading up different loads. I've not used it a lot and since then I've gravitated towards custom builds and non magnums (or at least not top end mags). I originally wanted the .340 and when the this one came out I had to have it. Now there are many other options and lots of great builder for 338's. So, I'm wondering if I should keep this one and spend more time working on loads and not just look for max all of the time or sell and have something built? I currently have a custom 700 338-06, a 700 7x57AI, a custom pre 64 70 7x57AI, and a 7 saum in the works. Also have a 9.3x62. The bigger 338 would be to cover the ranges over 350-400 yards that the '06 and 9.3 won't. Maybe I'm just thinking of ways to spend more, but the 378 has lost it's luster to me.
Sounds like you know the answer you just want to hear it from someone else if it doesn't give you a warm fuzzy sell it to someone it does

A 338 edge is a great long distance hammer. Easier to find brass sand has a little extra over there 338 rum.
I haven't been around the 338 Edge but what I read it sure is. I think my 338-378 will cover the long range well. I just want a rifle suited better to packing and also for future brown bear or moose hunts. My 9.3 is good but not very far. Thinking the RUM fits nice between the 338-378 and 338-06.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.