How-To: Keep your Magnetospeed or suppressor cover from walking

BallisticsGuy

A little life-hack.

Those of us with even slightly tapered barrels who use magnetospeed chronographs will eventually have an issue with the bayonet walking forward under recoil and occasionally rotating. On highly polished barrels it's more of a problem than on cerakoted or other coatings with a rough texture. Bayo's creeping foward is super not helpful. Having them rotate is almost as unhelpful. The same problem seems to affect a lot of suppressor covers.

Most people try to solve the problem by tightening things down even more with limited success toward the goal. The best solution is a ton easier than that and it's cheap and easy and fast.

spreayadhesive.jpeg

Automotive carpet & headliner spray adhesive. It's basically rubber cement in a spray can. Plain ol' rubber cement works too but isn't nearly as convenient.

Here's some brand/model info for good stuff:
  • 3M 38808 Headliner and Fabric Adhesive.
  • Permatex 27828 Headliner and Carpet Adhesive.
  • Loctite 37312 Maximum Strength Headliner Adhesive.
How-to:
Spray a little patch on the underside of the barrel near the muzzle. Let dry. Attach magnetospeed without gorilla level tightening down (still snug it down properly) and enjoy. Adhesive wipes off with a thumb and a little friction or soap and water works pretty well for removing the adhesive too.

Heat Limits:
I've shot rifles to the point the barrel was officially too hot to touch while using this method to keep my MS on the gun. Suppressors can get a TON hotter and I've not experimented a lot with them since they're illegal where I live and I only get to play with them infrequently as a result.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.