Kahles 624i Review: The Best Long-Range Hunting Scope

ADMIN

Administrator
First off, whenever a person uses the words, "the best," it immediately should throw up some red flags. Yes, the title is my personal opinion, so hold off on throwing the spoiled fruit or harsh words for awhile. The odd thing is I actually used a paraphrase of the title at a LR competition recently when someone was asking me about my scope. I said, "It is the best scope I have ever used. After using this Kahles 624i with their MOAK reticle I am hooked." Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Kahles 624i Review: The Best Long-Range Hunting Scope, By Ernie Bishop. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The Kahles K624 scopes are great scopes. I've been running one on my comp rifle since early 2013 and can definitely give them a thumbs up after what I've put it through.

I was fortunate enough to be with Ernie when he received this scope for testing and was immediately impressed with the clarity of this scope. When he tested it out to the distance's of 1350 and 1450 I was impressed again. It was my first time to shoot a roving long range competition and was honored to partner up with Ernie. It's a very rough and dirty course. The scope never showed any flaws. Someday in the future I will definitely be a customer of Kahles.

Ernie,

Just curious how you shoot a pistol with a scope that has a 3.5" eye relief?

Rob

Old Ninja secret..............Not really:D
It is a good question.
To try to answer all the questions:
Handgun Hunter Magazine - Rifle Scopes On Specialty Handguns

My son using a 7 SAUM Holland Radial Baffle Brake (Gen 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_FbsGLxxw8&list=FLfEoqqK-q7iARmKwk742NZg&index=27

6.5-06 with Holland Radial Baffle (Gen 2 - Current design)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZEt3dECMdA&list=FLfEoqqK-q7iARmKwk742NZg&index=26

I compared this scope to two different Hensoldt 6-24X72's expecting the Hensoldt to surpass the Kahles optically. The Kahles is superior to the Hernsoldt except for some CA on high contrast targets. I was accused of BS on another optics site because of my results. Oh well. I hurt some feelings.

Although I've been a customer of the LRH Store for the past few years, this is my first post in their forum; which I've 'appreciatively" learned so much from. Because many of the gear choices I've made have been inspired by the reviews and input of this forums members, moving forward "I too" would like to share my viewpoint(s) on certain gear pieces, (etc.) - starting with the Kahles K624i...

Last month I made my annual trek out west chasing deer in the hills of South Dakota & mountains of Montana; next year to include Wyoming as well. My rifle of choice was a Cooper Model 56 Excalibur, chambered in .300 win mag, with a Kahles 624i (MOAK reticle) scope. The scope is mounted with Farrell Industries base/rings. Completing the package was a Gunwerks G7 BR2 rangefinder and WeatherHawk wind meter.

Having owned/shot many different high-end equipment combinations, the one I brought out with me this year is BY FAR (to date) my personal favorite yet! Further, I feel and some (if not many) would probably agree that it takes a certain combination of equipment that must work in unison to make an effective shooting rig when it comes to long range shooting/hunting. Also, as technologies change, we always seem to adapt by figuring out a way to keep-up and make those expensive purchases that give us an edge on shooting corrections, etc.

HOWEVER, of all I listed above and knowing that technologies will only progress towards improvement, at age 50 (on Jan. 10th 2016) I will be purchasing the Kahles K624i MOAK for every LRH rifle I own *as a birthday gift to myself* and shall use them until the day I cannot hunt or shoot anymore!!! Why?... (IMHO) Best optical clarity in low light, perfect orientation between "zero stop" turrets and moa reticle, generous eye relief, sharp and infinate reticle illumination - all perfectly fit & finished into a low weight scope housing!

For those who may be reading this post, I realize that there are many quality scopes on the market. I also realize that many hunters/shooters prefer using mil's over moa. Finally, I also very well know that what ALL of us want is a company that offers QUALITY CUSTOMER SERVICE!... and Kahles offers it ALL!!! From superior glass - to a broadband of reticle choices - to someone who will speak with you on the phone and treat you like you are Kahles most important customer!

In closing I would just like to say that I truly cannot fathom how any scope manufacturer could ever surpass what Kahles is currently offering in the K624i for long range hunting. What I do know is that if one has the ability to range game and estimate needed wind corrections at long distance that the Kahles K624i will bring the target into HD view like no other scope I've ever used. For me, it made all the difference in the world this past hunting season & I look forward to using it during a series of LR shooting courses I'm scheduled to attend prior to the 2016 fall hunting season :)

Jimmy D.

Competitively priced & worth EVERY penny when you need an optic that shines at the time of day it matters most!

Bottom line is that "for me" this scope is proven. For others who may be in the market for a scope in this class, I would highly recommend giving the Kahles K624i a good hard look (at the very least) before settling on a purchase. It's that good!!!

Ernie - Btw, I read your fine review on this scope while I was out west on my hunting trip and it was what inspired me to follow-up (upon my return) with what I've posted here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed it.

Competitively priced & worth EVERY penny when you need an optic that shines at the time of day it matters most!

Bottom line is that "for me" this scope is proven. For others who may be in the market for a scope in this class, I would highly recommend giving the Kahles K624i a good hard look (at the very least) before settling on a purchase. It's that good!!!

Ernie - Btw, I read your fine review on this scope while I was out west on my hunting trip and it was what inspired me to follow-up (upon my return) with what I've posted here ��

While I don't do much hunting anymore, I'm active in practical/tactical steel match shooting, with typical ranges of 200-1400yds. I put what some call a 'Gen II' K624i AMR on my primary comp rifle early last year, and have been so pleased with it that I eventually bought three more of these scopes (last one was a new 'Gen III' w/scalloped turret knobs), all with the same AMR reticle, for the other three rifles I use in various matches. All these scopes are the mil version, which I prefer for competition use.

I've handled & shot behind a good number of other top-end quality/priced scopes, including S&B, Leupold Mk 8, NF Beast, Vortex Gen II Razor, Premier, etc. All these other scopes are very good, and I'm not about to knock them - but for my purposes & preferences, I've yet to find anything I like better than the K624i. These scopes have the best tactile clicks of any of the scopes with 14 mil/revolution knobs I've tried - it's far easier to get one click with the Kahles knobs than with any of the other scopes I've handled with 14 mil knobs. Love the location of the parallax ring, the ease of setting the zero stop, and the little red button that pops up after the 1st revolution of the elevation knob. Just an outstanding collection of features, and pretty much flawless execution of the LR scope concept IMHO.

Only thing I'm slightly ambiguous about is the center four dots of the AMR reticle - one match had us shooting at 2" dia round steel tgts at 300yds, and the reticle covered those little targets to the point where I had to shift off & back on them to have any idea whether I was centered. In that respect, the SKMR reticle looks better to me - but not enough better where I'd consider trading off all four of my AMRs for SKMRs.

My original intention was to purchase 2-3 scopes from different makers and try to pick which one I preferred. Thank goodness I tried the Kahles 1st - AFAIK, there's no need to try another brand.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.