Savage Long Range Hunter Rifle Review

The action is wearing the aluminum out in the stock.
Has 2 silver lines on the bottom side where the rubbing is going on even after it is torqued to specs.

Floor plate release is on the wrong end of the floor plate too. Bump it while hunting you loose all your ammo.
I can go on but no need to.
I have an older savage ultra mag 116 that is a good rifle.

Savage used to build a good rifle.

Last edited:
Far as I'm concerned for the price point, they still do. Not all models are equal but the ones I own are fine. Lets see, I have 6 and one hybrid. The Hybrid wears a Bartlien Barrel and Manners Stock. All mine shoot moa at 200 and the hybrid shoots etreme sub moa at 200, usually 3 in the same hole and the other 2 in a 5 group within 1/2"

Martyj,

Sorry to hear that and sorry I doubted you. Looks like you got the one they made on Friday afternoon. If I had all that going on with my gun I think I would contact Savage if you haven't already. See if they will make it right? They make inexpensive guns but the LRH isn't one of them in my mind at somewhere around 900 dollars. I would definitely contact them.

I guess that's why they have these forums to hear the good and the bad. One of my local friends got me on to savage a few years ago as his wifes 243 youth model 111 was so accurate. I have bought 4 Savage rifles since then and all very accurate and have worked well for me. He has also bought at least 2 more since then that I know of including one in 338 Lapua (110BA I think) which is one accurate beast! I have shot it a few times and amazingly it doesn't kick that bad either. I would have bought one myself but just can't justify the cost Vs the practicality as we don't have brown bears or Rino's where I live but it's a real HOOT, to shoot! I even have one their Axis models in 223 that I did a trigger job on and it's a good shooter too for not much money.

I hear ya on that floor plate latch. It took some getting used to but now its not a problem. I have not had any issues with the blocks and I checked. I was actually thinking of bedding the recoil lug on it. Not sure if I need to as it is really good so far. I have not had a problem with the release getting bumped yet. I almost bought the LRH but got a deal on the Bear Hunter for $740 with shipping.

I like the 260 and use it for across the course and long range, but have concerns about using it for long range. With 140 gr bullets, at about 500 yds, it drops below one thousand foot lbs of energy. That is like using a 30-30 at 200 yds.! If you are going to carry a 10lbs rifle up a mountain I have a few thoughts: Go to a larger caliber, heaver bullet and more powder, have the outfitter pack the rifle up to the top of the mountain for you or hire help to carry it. If none of this appeals to you, use your Winchester 30-30 with iron sights and learn how to stalk.

Sounds like good thinkin having someone ta pack it for ya. I have been looking at that one in 338. Oh BTW if the 30/30 is too much pick up a one pound longbow some arras and REALLY learn how ta stalk.

Sounds like good thinkin having someone ta pack it for ya. I have been looking at that one in 338. Oh BTW if the 30/30 is too much pick up a one pound longbow some arras and REALLY learn how ta stalk.

Gurn,

Pretty wise reply! One of those in 338 Lapua would be pretty awesome. Pricey for sure to shoot but if you reload not so bad. My buddy picked up a 338 savage in a 110 BA or something like that. I have reloaded some ammo for him and shot it. Actually I didn't think it kicked any more than a light 30-06 but it's a heavy gun. You definitely would want the guide to carry it less you have a horse or ATV. If you shoot it off your deck like he does your neighbors will get concerned.

Gurn,

Pretty wise reply! One of those in 338 Lapua would be pretty awesome. Pricey for sure to shoot but if you reload not so bad. My buddy picked up a 338 savage in a 110 BA or something like that. I have reloaded some ammo for him and shot it. Actually I didn't think it kicked any more than a light 30-06 but it's a heavy gun. You definitely would want the guide to carry it less you have a horse or ATV. If you shoot it off your deck like he does your neighbors will get concerned.

Ive always liked the 338. I've owned a 338 Win Mag Ruger and Savage, also a Rem 338 Ultra Mag.
Used ta go huntin/hiking in the Adirondack Mts of Up State NY for black bear. Thought the 338 Fed (338-08) in a light short action would have been a great gun for that.

have the savage 111 long range loaded longer than sammi specs shoots .83 at 100 hits hard out to 400 havent had to go any farther I like my savage and I really dont find it too heavy gun)

I just may re-barrel my .308 Savage 99 C into 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm very tempted B/C It's getting a new octagonal barrel anyway. Now that would be a long range hunter.

Eric B.

I purchased a model 12 LRP a few years ago, only savage I have ever owned that shot like garbage out of the box. I went to work on it immediately. bedding the action, working over the barrel with Montana X bore conditioner and eventually added PTG bolt body. Groups shrunk to sub moa with factory ammunition. I've since added a custom mcmillian stock and I love it. A few months ago I tried out the new Hornady ELD-X factory ammunition and I wish I would have taken picture of the groups I was getting at 200 yards. Cannot wait to get my reloading set up back and running. could never get the VLDs to shoot well. I might try the hybrids. Keep messing around with it. Savages are hard to beat. no special expensive tools to work on them needed and they shoot. I just bought a sendero II in 300 RUM, but I think Im going to scrap it and build another savage. wish there was TI actions.

The Model 11 LRH I chose was the 6.5 Creedmoor as they did not make it in 6.5x55mm Swede.
This having the same ballistics as the .260 Remington and the 6.5x55mm Swede fit the bill just right for me.
This rifle is a joy to shoot and is almost as accurate as my Sako Vixen .22PPC, .222Rem, or my .17 Remington.
Shooting factory loads it shoots the 143 ELD-X so so but the Winchester 142gr. LRAB Expedition load it loves 5 into .342" including one I pulled just a bit low.
My one criticism would be the muzzle brake design.
I would like to see a muzzle brake with side venting and not 360' .
The thread pattern on my LRH is oddly a 9/16x28tpi.
The 11 LRH is heavy for caliber but for this old guy hunting in the mountains it stays very steady for me compared to a "mountain rifle".
Trigger breaks right at 2 3/4 pounds which to me as a gunsmith seems a bit light for a hunting rifle but the trigger design makes it much safer than the Big Green trigger designs.
Over all for a factory rifle Savage has another winner.

I enjoyed your savage LRH rifle article. I'm just now getting interested in LRH. I own several hunting rifles and have killed several deer and one elk. I'm a senior citizen prefer 6 to 7 pound rifles without scopes. Less recoil but want accuracy. Does your 6.5 x 284 have about same recoil as 308 Winchester?

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.