Just got back from a Kansas ML hunt...

The Oregonian

was able to take this guy on second to last day of rifle season just before dark. Saw him at 500 yards walking right towards me and could tell it was the deer I had been hunting all day for several days straight.

He came right in like he was supposed to. I almost took a shot at 200 but was going to give him a chance to work to where the other deer were. He gave me broadside at 100 and I put one an inch and a half lower than I wanted but still good enough. Went for a high shoulder with a Nosler 300gr outmof a Cooper ML. He ran 75yards on three legs, went down, and couldn't get up. Loved for an hour and called the warden to get permission to finish him after dark. I have no idea how he lived that long bc his lungs were severely messed up. He was one tough SOB. He even got up after a second shot from 25 yards and the outfitter put a 223 in the boiler room also. Took him another 5-10 minutes to go expire.

All in all a ton of fun...I just wish he had not suffered so long.

7_B2106_A4-3910-472_A-8_DAC-_FBF6_BED1_AF73.jpg

Nice deer Glad to see you got him
seams like bullet performance wasn't great

Nice deer Glad to see you got him
seams like bullet performance wasn't great
I have thought about that. It fragmented into tons of small pieces. Was hard to tell what was first shot vs second or 223, but he couldn't walk at all and didn't go 75 yards from where he was shot. I may try another bullet next year but not sure I will be on a ML hunt as I secured a rifle spot at the same outfitter. I think he was also one tough SOB with lots of adrenaline...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts