Just another new guy from Illinois

jdc

Hello everyone,

This is a new venture for me and I am here looking for all the advice and information I can get. You will probably see me strolling through the forums and asking silly questions. I'll try and use the search function and FAQ's first but sometimes when your question comes out of left field (or if no one else has already asked the silly question) it may not be there. I don't have any problem wearing the egg on my face. It's the only way to learn. Think of me as an empty bucket waiting to be filled with good advice.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge up front and am looking forward to making new friends here and becoming the best I can be at this.

I'm up just north of Dixon. Not quite up to Mount Morris.

I'm still trying to decide if this the right place for me to start or not. What do you all call long range? 600yds+? I guess what I mean is, with as little experience I have, would I be better off starting at 100-300yds and working my way up from there. Or, being a "blank slate" (no bad habit to overcome), should I start here. And if I do start here, will what I learn still apply at the 100-300yd range?

Hell, I don't even know what to start out with for my first rifle. I know nothing about ammunition. I'm as green as it gets. If this forum is too advanced for me then I don't mind starting somewhere else and coming back when I have worked my way up.

I think I"ll post all that in the general discussion area and see what everyone thinks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.