JK Cloward 300 Super

jbaldwin

I just got in trade this rifle and a little unsure what I have, The gentleman I got the rifle from has been firing 300 weatherby rounds in it and they fire form to sharper angle and shorter neck. I thinking 30-8mm Remington or 300 jarrett? Question is what dies do I need or do I need to send to rcbs? Any help or thought appreciated.

I just got in trade this rifle and a little unsure what I have, The gentleman I got the rifle from has been firing 300 weatherby rounds in it and they fire form to sharper angle and shorter neck. I thinking 30-8mm Remington or 300 jarrett? Question is what dies do I need or do I need to send to rcbs? Any help or thought appreciated.

It did not come with dies? IIWY, I'd have those fire-formed brass (if you have any) out of the chamber and have Custom Reloading Dies | Whidden Gunworks build me a custom dies for it.

You could possibly have a .300 AI (.300 WBTY improved, 40 degree shoulder or a variant) but I do not want to assume anything.

No dies but have several pieces of fired brass out of rifle. going to call cloward gun works in the morning and see if I can get in answers. he is also a armorer for the palma shooting team. Weighing all options to this point.

Jim is retired these days but he may still have a die set around. RCBS still shows them as .30 Super 30/8mm Rem. Mag. I know this because I bought one of his old personal hunting rifles in this caliber. He told me that the Weatherby brass was higher quality and worked better than the Remington brass, especially when working up to maximum loads. He advised me to start at my standard .300 Weatherby load and work up. This caliber [.300 Super] is really something with 200 grain bullets, well over 3k no problem. PM me and I would be happy to share any info I have that might help.

RCBS 2-Die Set 30-8mm Remington Mag

Jim is retired these days but he may still have a die set around. RCBS still shows them as .30 Super 30/8mm Rem. Mag. I know this because I bought one of his old personal hunting rifles in this caliber. He told me that the Weatherby brass was higher quality and worked better than the Remington brass, especially when working up to maximum loads. He advised me to start at my standard .300 Weatherby load and work up. This caliber [.300 Super] is really something with 200 grain bullets, well over 3k no problem. PM me and I would be happy to share any info I have that might help.

RCBS 2-Die Set 30-8mm Remington Mag

I have the improved version and that's exactly what I am doing. It has a Lilja 27" 1:9" 3G and it will primarily propel the 215/230 Berger and Hornady 212/220/225.

.300%20Ackley%20vs%20.30%20Lara_zpsqrkfer3f.jpg

L: 300 Ackley (.300 WBTY 40); R: .30 Lara (.300 Jarrett/30-8MM RM improved)

I've reloaded for the 30 Hart quite a bit which looks very similar to the cartridge on the right that FEENIX posted.

Very accurate while shooting 300 WBY fireforming loads. All were pretty easy to find a good load for.

If you track down the correct dies I think you'll enjoy it.

I have the improved version and that's exactly what I am doing. It has a Lilja 27" 1:9" 3G and it will primarily propel the 215/230 Berger and Hornady 212/220/225.

.300%20Ackley%20vs%20.30%20Lara_zpsqrkfer3f.jpg

L: 300 Ackley (.300 WBTY 40); R: .30 Lara (.300 Jarrett/30-8MM RM improved)

You know, seeing the picture of our cartridges side-by-side, I think we might be about nearly the same capacity. My .300 Ackley is wider (less body taper) from head to shoulder, than your .30 Lara, but your .30 Lara has a longer body and shorter neck. I'd be willing to bet they're VERY close in capacity, which means they would be in performance, as well.

You know, seeing the picture of our cartridges side-by-side, I think we might be about nearly the same capacity. My .300 Ackley is wider (less body taper) from head to shoulder, than your .30 Lara, but your .30 Lara has a longer body and shorter neck. I'd be willing to bet they're VERY close in capacity, which means they would be in performance, as well.

Yep, they should be pretty close, IIRC, I was getting ~101.5g H2O.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.