I've Been Bit (Texas)

RedRanger328

Hey everyone!

I got into firearms 4 years ago and now I don't think old me would even recognize the new me. I jumped into the deep end and haven't looked back! First gun was an AR I built with precision in mind, blinked, and now I have a dedicated gun room. I've got a few deer under my belt and a good number of hogs, but it all came to a head last November.

Last December I got the opportunity to hunt a Red Hind in Texas. Don't worry, I was using a Tikka T3X CTR in 308... not the AR. I was able to record the shot and after watching it a few times, I don't know, I'm just hooked now. That and we're still eating on her (delicious). I'm looking into elk in the future, possibly an Axis Buck this year. (Boy am I glad I don't have too many hobbies!) While my friends are really interested in killing paper (I've suspected they were vegans) I'm more interested in seeing how far I can push myself hunting, there's just something about it. I'm not too far off from sustaining my wife and I off of hunted meat alone from last fall. Two does, a large buck, a pig, and the red hind (we eat a lot of meat from working out).

Hopefully this doesn't ruffle any feathers, I have a flair for theatrics and having fun. Here's the Red Hind I got. She jumped clear over another hind near her and dropped after about 35-40 yards.

image0000001_20201205_200923.jpg

Thanks, guys! I'm actually North Texas myself!

Old me was a 325lb tub o lard geek that built computers, studied virology for fun (actually just graduated a couple of weeks ago with a major in Bio, minor in Chem and Criminal Justice), I played video games to the detriment of real life. I'm much happier with moderation, now. I'm still a geeky guy, but I'll always jump at the chance to do anything outside, shooting, kayaking, hiking, shooting, hunting, swimming, shooting... The fun stuff.

You'll have to head far west Tx for very limited elk. But you'll be stepping over hogs while waiting. Axis are far south but we had a really odd snow-pocalypse that unfortunately killed off 1000's of Axis. So do your research before going after those.