Its time for a high cap mag conversion

neutral

Ok so after having my *** handed to me at a high speed match yesterday i've decided to research converting my not so stock stevens rifle to a high capacity mag.

It currently has a boyds thumbhole laminate stock 4.4 inch and a custom mcgowen precision .875 26 inch barrel. I have a single shot follower and the little time it took for me to load each round did us in. The guys that won both had big heavy bolt guns with 9 or 10 round mags. And of course they had 5 mags. Buggers!!! anyway they cleared the field 2 minutes before us and i didn't miss a shot. So as the title would imply I want to at least have a chance next year plus for gophers it would kick *** aswell so i want all your experience with doing this project.

have anyof you done this before?

do you know wich kits are good/ not good?

how much will it cost?

I am an avid tinkerer so i am not afraid of the work. I googled it and found a few things but not enough to make a decision. My caliber is 223 and my bulllets are seated deep because my lands are super close.

thanks

Hey have you guys ever heard of vbull precision? they make a 5/10 shot mag and plate but its 495 bucks. Seems like it might work but thats alot of dough for a just a mag. what do you guys think? i wonder if there would be a way to convert an ar mag to fit?

Sharp Shooter Supply offers the mags and although it is not on their website, I know Fred has a new detachable mag holder that he has just developed for a replacement bottom metal that will work for both hole spacings of the short action Savage.

If you are familiar with SSS - they are a nightmare to get a hold of but email and phone - keep trying - they have what you are looking for.

That looks like a winner but it doesn't say anything about 223. stupid 308 taking all the cool mods. ;) anyway how do we get a hold of this guy? i tried googleing it and only thing tha comes up is the savageshooters forum. What do i do? I defnetly want this set up. way cheaper than the vbull stuff. 500 bucks is alot for a mag upgrade. plus the accuracy international mags are big bucks too. I hope these guys make a mag for 223 or else i'm stuck with the vbull. I'm sure its great but it'll be a while before the old lady will swallow 500 just for a mag. plus 5 mags. big money

i think i did a dummy. Its sharpshooter supply that has this setup. sweeeeeet! i found a thread saying that 223 was still in r/d. Hope they get it soon. gonna be sweet.

CDI Presision has had them for awhile. I just looked at SSS kit, it looks good but I like the CDI better for the length of the mag release. One of these kits will be on my list for the next mod. CDI as far as I know is the only long action DBM and it looks like it will do WSM size cases which is what I need.

Try calling Lisa at SSS early in the morning and keep calling, I have yet to have to try more than three times, I have found SSS great to do business with!

CDI Precision Gunworks - CDIPrecision Gunworks

That looks good too. hmmm more options than i thought. I wonder if the aics mags will fit this bottom metal. Just googled accuracy international 223 mag and i got a few hits, one of wich is bauerarms.com. they have 223 mags for 39 bucks but they look plastic and cheap. wonder if they work well. or even work with the cdi bottom metal. hope so. That would kick *** to have cheap 10 shot mags

So i called cdi this morning and talked to Jeff. Really nice guy on the phone. He definetly has the right stuff. He said he even made a small run of bottom metal for the T3 lite so lots of guys are gonna be doing this mod i bet. He says it comes with a template and instructions on how to inlet the stock. He also sells the 223 mags and they are infact plastic but he assures me that they are very good and warranty is good. sounds like i got a little saving up to do. bottom plate and 5 mags oh yeay. he did say that for the savage short action there is a bolt stop that either needs to be ground off or replaced with the same 308 part to allow the bolt to come back far enough.

Sorry to bring this back, but I wanted to know what the OP did. ALso remembered while looking at the thread that there was a Mini-14 magazine conversion for remmies, although it doesn't help the OP much.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.