It’s a deer …

Wow. Unless he had a giant place … not a great idea unless his goal was to reintroduce elk into the area.

I do know some giant ranches where they released ibex and Stag. The Ibex stuck around bc of the terrain. Stag mostly stuck around bc of the size of the ranch. Eventually they just stop moving and settle in.

Most of my Stag were killed by neighboring ranches since they have a habit of standing around in the sunshine. Aoudad are firmly established now in this area.
Aoudad are pretty skittish and that helps them survive especially in rough terrain where humans have trouble traveling. I'm near Sonora Texas axis, from Kerrville area, have made it out that far west and are starting to propagate. We have some large ranches and the small ones that I'm a part of are trying to only shoot for six year old a is bucks leaving the doe alone for now until they become pretty plentiful. Everybody here seems to be of the same mindset to let them establish .

That's a great story and a good bull/buck/stag whatever the heck it is.
Goes to show that perseverance does often pay off.
Congrats you you both!
And Happy thanksgiving to y'all.
Here in the north east just sitting and watching it rain all day. I could use your blind! Lol

BTW- to the non residents, high fences here are about as controversial as beans in chili.
😳

Wow. Unless he had a giant place … not a great idea unless his goal was to reintroduce elk into the area.

I do know some giant ranches where they released ibex and Stag. The Ibex stuck around bc of the terrain. Stag mostly stuck around bc of the size of the ranch. Eventually they just stop moving and settle in.

Most of my Stag were killed by neighboring ranches since they have a habit of standing around in the sunshine. Aoudad are firmly established now in this area.
If you need anyone to come and hunt the Aoudad my brother-in-law and I will volunteer. Their on my bucket lists.

We set the blind 100 yards from a bait pile. Since he would only come in at night, I used my Pulsar Thermion Pro XP50 on a 308.

On the second attempt, when the moon was dark, we discovered a problem with our plan. It wasn't practical to keep sticking the gun out of the window to see if there was anything at the bait. During a full moon, you could use binoculars.

So, I bought a wireless driveway alarm. I put the sensors on a pig trap next to the bait pile. The receiver was in the blind with us.

Still needed to see what was there. So, I used a LaRue detachable scope mount. The idea was to use the scope to glass and reattach to gun when ready to shoot. It's a hassle, but it worked. That mounts "return to zero" claim is true. Great mount.

After 4 days of sitting, he finally showed up. The shot was uneventful, nephew got buck fever for the first time, but powered through it! He's proven to be a very good shot on game out to 300 yards, but this one tested his abilities.

Perfect shot and Stag ran 50 yards and piled up in a juniper tree! Almost straight up!
Patience is a virtue. Paid off big time. Congrats! Way to go getting through the fog of the waiting. Remember the feeling and it will serve you well for the future.

Recent Posts