Issue with 6/5cm Redding FL sizer die

Blkrflguy

Guys,
I've got a 6/5 Redding FL sizer with a bushing. Brass on the left prior to sizing. Brass on the right after. The fat ring at the head of the case on the right is something I've personally never seen before in my 8 yrs reloading. I thoroughly lubed the case with Hornady one shot after initially getting the squawk sound, thinking I didn't lube enough. The gun is a Savage, so I'm now wondering if the chamber isn't a bit large at the head. They have had QC issues with not polishing chambers the last couple years.
What's say you?

Attachments

• Shells.jpg
    Shells.jpg
    771.4 KB · Views: 75
Certainly could be an oversized chamber. The die could also be cut a little small.
How does a fired piece of brass fit in the chamber?

I cleaned the dies when I first got them. I'm just now loading for the second firing of the brass because initially I couldn't find brass so I bought factory loads. After seeing the first few pieces come out like this, that's what I did was re-clean the FL sizer just to make sure but the ring is completely around the case. Trying a different lube is an idea but, I've never had any issues with the one shot.

Last edited:
Guys,
I've got a 6/5 Redding FL sizer with a bushing. Brass on the left prior to sizing. Brass on the right after. The fat ring at the head of the case on the right is something I've personally never seen before in my 8 yrs reloading. I thoroughly lubed the case with Hornady one shot after initially getting the squawk sound, thinking I didn't lube enough. The gun is a Savage, so I'm now wondering if the chamber isn't a bit large at the head. They have had QC issues with not polishing chambers the last couple years.
What's say you?
I'm betting your chamber is a little oversized. I have not found Redding dies to size abnormally small towards the base. My Forsters DO seem to size a tiny bit smaller than most at the base, but I've never seen that from any of my Reddings, and doesn't seem to adversely affect things when using the Forsters. It really should hurt anything. More important that you don't bump the shoulder excessively.

I like One Shot, but recently tried RCBS Case Slik, and it does seem to size a little better than One Shot.

John