Is your long range rifle a factory chambering or a wildcat ?

dgr416

I only have one wildcat the 333 okh belted mag the rest of my long range guns are factory chamberings .My favorite finally became a factory load the 338-378 weatherby .I also use the 338 win mag but the 338-378 adds at least 200 yards to it .I have 264 win mag too but mine are a pain with splitting necks and the way the throat is set up for dual diameter bullets .I fooled with the 300 win mag a bit but I didn't see it half as good for heavy game and dangerous game as the 338 win mag .I kept trying the 338 win mag but it really limited me on the tundra .I do wish I had a 30 inch barrel 338-378 win mag I feel it would be even a step above .
It's gotten very hard with this ammo shortage to find almost anything .I missed a few of my needs but stocked up pretty good .I find myself already using other brass to make my calibers do to the lack of components.I hope we will be able to pursue our love of hunting for generations to come but I fear we will have many problems to come .I went to the gun show today and saw people not being able to find any ammo for so many new calibers and lots of old ones .

I have six rifles that are "factory chamberings"; a .222 Rem, .223 Rem, 6mmBR Norma, .270 Win., 7mmRemMag & .300WinMag. The 6BR and .300WM are pre-fit barrels that I put on (Shilen & PacNor, respectively) and with the .300 I used a Ryan Mantha reamer to extend the leade/throat a bit. This allows me to shoot the 212/215gn bullets without having to shove them down into the powder column of the case. Kinda the same principle that Hornady uses with all the "new" cartridges they're "designing". Either way all of these can shoot off the shelf boo-lets.

The only one that would fit into the wildcat category would be my .270 Allen Magnum. It is a fantastic cartridge, slightly overbore, but a hoot to shoot. With 169.5 Wildcats or 170gn Berger bullets at 3450fps, the 270 Allen Magnum offers legit +1200 yard range on medium to heavy deer species.

I wonder what Jack O'Connor would think.

I couldn't every find the right bullet that worked good in 300 win mag .They either blew up or zipped through deer .Nosler partitions zipped through deer up close in both the 300 win mag and 338 win mag .I just used nosler partition 250 grain in my 338-378 weatherby in Alaska because of the bears .I am fixing to try the 338-378 on deer at long range hopefully I find the right bullet that does not blow them in half .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.