Is this an expensive build?

Tikkamike

I have a 338 lapua being build right now and its almost done so im just wondering about what to expect it to cost? here is a list if whats being done

donor rifle is a 700 sps matte finish which has to be taken apart.
action needs trued
i bought a bolt from PT&G that needs assembled
action needed opened up to make a repeater for the lapua round
ejection port may need to be lengthened slightly. and extended centerfeed magazine box beeds tweaked for proper feeding.
chamber needs cut
throat is cut to my specified length.
brake needs installed and reamed up to size and timed
Action installed into greybull precision stock and probably skim bedded.

I supplied all the parts all i am paying for is the work. what should I expect to pay for all this work? I am guessing about a grand....

yeah i probably should have he is a friend of mine and my dads. and my business does business with his other business in the oil/natural gas field. I didnt really think about cost i just know they do good work so thats my main concern. i just started wondering today what it might cost and realized I had never asked. Seems like quite a bit of work though. Just wondering what the smiths on here would quote on a build like that.

Action truing can run from $200-400 plus depending on what they consider truing. Normally means recutting the threads also.

IMO I would not worry about making it a repeater especially in the 700. Most consider the 700 marginal at best for the Lapua. I would not weaken it any more.

Weld and time the bolt $60-100 or so depending. Hope he does not silver solder only.

Chambering for $175-400 again depending on the smith.

Muzzle brake installed and crown If you supply the brake is $100 or so.

as you did not mention, what bottom metal are you using and did you supply. There will be work there to fit and maybe mill again.

Bedding $100-250 depending on skim or pillars. I would certainly pillar any 338 lapua.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts