Is there some thing wrong with my seating die.

Just so everyone knows I am not against change and advancements. It is just that this is first time I have ever noticed this issue. It probably happened before and I never noticed it. Things are easier to pick up when you are working in smaller volumes and maybe reading forums too much. Any way I have to buy a new gadget now; no big deal.
Hey WildBill,
@aushunter1 has his opinion and that's fine. He bought a bunch of gadgets and it gives him the confidence he needs to feel he is 'doing it just right'. That's great. You are more old school and have figured out how to reload accurate ammunition without all the gadgetry. That's great, too. Neither one is "right" or "wrong". Just coming from different places. Having said that, when someone speaks in 'absolutes' to the effect: "If you cant buy those things from the onset of your reloading journey then don't start" I get a little perturbed. Seems a bit condescending and bossy. I don't know if he meant it that way, it's just how it reads. Better to be civil. We are all on the same team, so to speak.

What brought us all to this thread was your recent discovery that when we seat a bullet, the ogive is what the seater pushes against (hopefully!) and that is fine, but some bullets are longer or shorter than others and while all the bullets will be very close to the same CBTO measurement, they are NOT always very close in OAL measurement, depending on the bullet. And - ironically - a person can still load very safe, very accurate ammo without 'knowing' the CBTO measurement. You don't have to go buy any new gadgets unless you just want to. But if you are suddenly looking to hit 10" steel plates at 1000 yards, it might not hurt to get more 'scientific' with things. Otherwise, consider it lesson learned and press on. You are doing fine.

Hmmm its good. I was lucky to have a shooting coach,that was a gun nut.He helped me get started.Also had 5 Landcruisers,now I have JP w/ARB's.Once you get your comparator,then you might want a gauge or way to measure your chamber?It never ends. I learned old ways,smoke bullet,sharpie etc.Many ways...

Thank you Frog4aday and sp6x6 I thought maybe I had got out of line talking old school. I know I don't need the comparator but I would like to hit 10x10 stell at 1000yds. That is why I like this site I am always learning some thing new that helps make me shoot a little better. We may all love technology but do we not have to go back to a balance beam scale to ensure our new whiz bang model is correct all the time.

I clearnced my Forester die with a small drill bit because the micro didnt fit well on my 300 OTM,problem solved.That was ten years ago,somebody on here think mentioned it

I'm with you @WildBillG , this site is very good. The people here are very smart and willing to share what they know. And people have been doing things for a long time with simple tools successfully and that doesn't make them 'backwards', but rather just more practical (i.e., making do with what we had.) But that doesn't mean we can't learn new tricks and use new tools to improve on what we already know and do, right? I'm hoping that's where @aushunter1 was coming from.

This site being LONG RANGE hunting has been educational. The things you can get away with when you think 400 yards is far, versus trying to hit something at 1000 yards or more (much more in some cases!) is vastly different. I'm grateful to everyone who has been sharing their knowledge to help make us all a little smarter and a little better. I've sure learned a lot along the way. And we are never done learning. Just when we think we have it all dialed in, some new information or technique or tool shows up to show us that the path of knowledge meanders before us forever.

I agree with all above whole-heartedly! I've be hand loading nearly 50 years now. The whole process has been a learning and growing curve. I started trimming and loading one at a time with crude Lee hand tools and a balance beam. Had plastic micrometer that flexed (didn't know any better). Measurrd OAL, saw variance and said oh well. Never blew anything up and things went bang predictably.
No comparison to today. My steepest learning curve came when my smith friend got me started shooting benchrest with his old rifle
Dang him!
That was back in the 70"s. Haven't stopped learning since. This forum and the people on it are Great! Much knowledge and experience here. Thanks to all!

"birdiemc, post:
I've only been reloading for a few years now, and really not that great at it yet, but the folks around here have been very helpful. But they also like to spend your money for you without reservation lol.
I prefer to consider them as suggestions for new toys, in case you want to take the next step deeper into this hobby.

Another possibility is you did not do a complete stroke on the reloading press, or perhaps did not leave the arm down long enough if it was a compressed load. What make of press are you using?

My press is a RCBS Rock Chucker it is a solid press.
I have another question though my Hornady dies are older and did not come with 2 seating stems. If I get the 212ELDX stem will it work well with other VLD bullets and non VLD bullets. Alao I assume every company makes their own seating stems to cost us more money we hate universal equiptment.

Hornady is pretty much the ONLY company making seating stems for specific bullets. Usually only two seating stems, regular and VLD stems to fit all other bullets. Of course, they are not an exact fit, but will work across 98% of other bullets.

In my experience a VLD stem might not work well with "standard" ogive bullets. Standard bullet seaters certainly don't work well with VLDs. They make a compression ring around the bullet nose.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.