Is there a FL die that sizes down 6.5PRC to eliminate clickers?

That is what I heard as well. that's the reason I purchased the lapua, so it may not even be an issue when I get up into the firings.

If I was going to have a 6.5Prc. It would be built with a custom reamer.
It seems that the factory ones are Junk.
If your wanting a Kick *** 6.5
Build a 6.5/7PRC. I just finished load development with the 130 OTM Hybrid
Got it to 3584fps before ejector marks were very noticeable but no heavy bolt lift.
Settled on 3360avg. 156 EOL at 3200fps.
Sorry didn't mean to derail.

Attachments

• 20240320_101208.jpg
    20240320_101208.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 16
The Bullet Central micron dies will size the base of the brass smaller to help eliminate the clickers. I purchased one for a 300 prc and it sized the base .0015 - .002 smaller than a couple of different Whidden dies I tried.

The Bullet Central micron dies will size the base of the brass smaller to help eliminate the clickers. I purchased one for a 300 prc and it sized the base .0015 - .002 smaller than a couple of different Whidden dies I tried.
I think the Micron dies are what @BrentM uses also. Another thread here somewhere he states he has not had the "clicker' issue using these.

I have a Xbolt max LR and Hornady dies. Never had a clicker. About 7 reloads is all I get and pockets are shot. But never a clicker.

If you are using hornady brass you'll likely never experience clickers. If you are using lapau etc you likely will at some point. I have custom whidden dies with my spec to eliminate the issue completely. However, I also AW2 reamer, use it with lapau and redding comp die. So far it works very well. I have also gone to another step and that is the sherman improved. I am going to rechamber an old barrel and have a new one on the way. Sherman addressed the taper, web, and shoulder...... Should be fun.

Clickers are an issue of a mis match between Full length die dimension and the Chamber dimension. Alex is an expert on this issue.

Use of micrometer that reads into the .0001 is mandatory in determing the proper size die to use.

Measure:

Dia at the .200 one on New brass
Once fired brass
three times fired brass

.0005 is a country mile

Now measure the dia that the die sizes the brass down to. Your problem will be revealed in the numbers.

As brass gets fired 10+firings on hot loads, the Brass springs back even more where the micrometer tells all.

Many times, our most accurate load will be at top end pressure, no way to get around it. Why build a hot rod to have to back off on the load?

Lapping the chamber out .0015 with 320 grit wet sand with oil takes 30 minutes with the barrel in the lathe. This may seem helter skelter, but chasing expensive dies to size down to an undersize chamber or over size new brass is Just as crazy. It is madness to invest $300 in a die for the fix, just to find out the die is not what it is supposed to be, screwed up in heat treat. It would be great if we could have a set of "web sizers" graduated in .0005. Then again, just have a gunsmith do the job in the first place that has put in the time and money so that his phone will not ring from dissatisfied customers.

There are some issues with PRC's with die vs reamer, Alex Wheeler has invested the time and money to solve these issues, and I would not rush to ask a guy to give up his trade secrets that allows him to make a living.

There is a relationship between new brass dimension and chamber dimension, and for hunting rifles, .002 is way too tight. If you go large, you may lose primer pockets prematurely, so there is a balance. Variations in web dimensions in various brands of brass is one heck of a mess.

Soft brass can leade to Clickers, some brands more prone than others.

The .0001 micrometer is your best friend in this issue.

Cortina has dies that will size the base of the case down enough to hopefully prevent clickers.
He's even designed his expander die bodies to size the base of the case, so take your pick

I was going to mention Cortina's expander die also. I have one for 284. My 284 brass gets larger at the base/web interface due to oversized chamber cut and my sizing die won't fully take care of the issue, only getting that portion down to 0.502. Using Cortina's expander die, it takes it down to 0.500!

You might try that before getting new sizing dies or modifying your chamber. The expander die is around $70 so it may be the cheapest option.

All dies, RCBS, whidden, forster, redding etc should be designed around SAAMI specification. Any die that is not SAAMI is a custom spec and set up to address PRC issues with heavy brass such lapua, ADG, gunwerks. I cannot imagine anyone messing around with micrometer trying to figure out .0005 at the .200 line differences. Not practical and definetly absurd any commercial dies would be that far off the spec.

In my world, yours may be different, but the way I see it you have a few choices. Pick your brass and then decide Custom die or custom chamber. Those using a AW2 reamer will get .535 vs .532 at the .200 line. Standard SAAMI dies will work just fine. If not wanting to cut the chamber then a custom die that is designed to size the case down a bit more for the spring back will solve the issue.

I have limited reloads on the AW2 and redding die but it is working fine so far. The whidden die has run 1500 reloads and never missed a beat getting the brass to the right level for me. Low sd and es and excellent repeatable accuracy.

I am giving the sherman improved a go because I like to annoy myself with new stuff.....