Is there a Downside/Drawback to using Moly bullets

wow , what a mess that was man ! well that pretty much sums it up, I don't need to mess with these! they are factory loaded , got them in a trade so oh well no need to mess with them . now I also have some Winchester 7mmwsm accubond Ct's that say Lubalox on them its a black coating but from what I gathered this is not moly so i think i will be ok shooting them !
There's nothing wrong with Molly it's a high pressure lubricant extending the life of your barrel some people say it will get your cold bore shot closer to the group. Do some research on the wet method of applying Molly
A106880C-C688-4176-836F-61719D2DF11A.jpeg

Tried moly and nope! But since I had moly powder looked around for possible use:
1-dipped muzzleloader plastic sabot base into it and holy cow did they go down barrel! Accuracy no different, fouling seemed to be less not sure, velocity really no different. So fun test but stopped. Not necessary.
2-dipped 12 ga Hammerhead slug sabot and actually saw better consistent velocity in reloads. Still doing it.
3-tried dipping bullet base to see if bullet seating be better. Holy 💩💩, velocities, SD, ES ALL over the map. Stopped that😂.
4-tried to add to bolt lug grease to see if lugs would hold lubrication longer. Anybody have thoughts on that concept?

Its a good dry lubricant so I look for opportunities.

A number of years ago a friend gave me part of a box of Barnes XLC 180gr 30cal.
He said they were not accurate in his 300 Wby ,I shot them in my 300 Win Husqvarna with no problems.
Group fine ,but I did not have enough of them to use them on game!

I have shot thousands upon thousands of Moly coated bullets. I still shoot them in some rifles. If you are shooting matches where you are running and gunning then Moly coated bullets are great. They will keep your barrel cooler and you will have to clean it much less often. I have a AR match gun in 223 with over 5000 rounds through it. All were moly coated and the barrel still looks new inside. It does not increase velocity nor does it increase accuracy but it does keep them cooler for longer due to the reduced friction. As with most things when used properly it works great but for the occasional shooter there is probably very little benefit. Moly and water does not play nice with carbon barrel steel so if you do use moly coated bullets I suggest a Stainless steel barrel.
I own a ranch in Montana and when we are gopher hunting in the spring keeping your barrel cool is paramont if the shooting is good. Moly is simple to apply and has a benefit in certain situations. I have never experienced any of the negitive effects of moly but I clean my guns after each day of shooting. After moly coating in a viberator I do wax coat them for one minute using Brownells bag rider wax.
If I had access to a lot of them I certainly would shoot them. Clean your barrel down to bare metal and again before you go back to uncoated bullets.

I agree with everything sedancowboy wrote in his post. I have heard of shooters having terrible rust problems in their barrels from moly degrading to some type of salt and rusting barrels in a short time, up to, and including just overnight. The danger comes from the humidity of the area one lives in(hint hint). I started using moly when I lived in Northern California(Paradise in Butte county) and I still use moly now that I live in Montana and like sedancowboy, I haven't had any of the problems that all of the preious moly users always quote in moly threads like this one. I honestly believe that when the moly craze started years ago, people bought any moly they could get their hands on, probably trying to save money, I also believe very few of those people knew how to properly apply their moly to their slugs and barrel. Believe it or not, there were companies selling moly in aerosol cans to be sprayed on loaded ammunition. If one doesn't know how to apply the moly, they were probably applying too much moly to their slugs and barrels, also, using the wrong grade or using moly that is made for other applications will cause various and sundry problems. Moly isn't gooder the more one applies. Too much moly will cause glazing inside the barrel and I have heard it's almost impossible to remove. I have fired thousands and thousands of handloaded rounds and all of my oldest firearms still look pretty good. My newer firearms look just as good as the day I first moly'ed the barrel. All of my family's firearms don't lose any accuracy but we can "get away" cleaning the barrels down to steel once a year only. I have had no rust, glazing or loss of accuracy due to any of the moly problems that everyone always bring up in moly threads. Load your slugs. Clean your rifle after you shoot the moly every time or simply oil your barrel so any humidity can't get to the moly and affect the bore of your firearm. I moly my 257 Roberts, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 CM, 7.62X51, 7mm mag, 270Win 257 Wby mag, 300mag and others I am probably forgetting right now. I do not moly any of the family's handgun rounds or any 223rem or 5.56. No problems. Semper Fi you crayon eating beast! I hope your holidays are good for you and yours, Merry Christmas.
I have shot thousands upon thousands of Moly coated bullets. I still shoot them in some rifles. If you are shooting matches where you are running and gunning then Moly coated bullets are great. They will keep your barrel cooler and you will have to clean it much less often. I have a AR match gun in 223 with over 5000 rounds through it. All were moly coated and the barrel still looks new inside. It does not increase velocity nor does it increase accuracy but it does keep them cooler for longer due to the reduced friction. As with most things when used properly it works great but for the occasional shooter there is probably very little benefit. Moly and water does not play nice with carbon barrel steel so if you do use moly coated bullets I suggest a Stainless steel barrel.
I own a ranch in Montana and when we are gopher hunting in the spring keeping your barrel cool is paramont if the shooting is good. Moly is simple to apply and has a benefit in certain situations. I have never experienced any of the negitive effects of moly but I clean my guns after each day of shooting. After moly coating in a viberator I do wax coat them for one minute using Brownells bag rider wax.
If I had access to a lot of them I certainly would shoot them. Clean your barrel down to bare metal and again before you go back to uncoated bullets.

Last edited:
Yup, me again. If for some crazy reason using moly starts to sound good to you, please do as much reading about what the proper process is and if I or sedancowboy can answer any questions you have, you know where to find us. Sorry sedancowboy if I am throwing you under a bus you'd rather not deal with.

A few things about moly,,
It has an affinity for itself, and wipes in layers some distance down the bore. If not managed this builds to a accuracy destroying constriction that does even more damage to remove than leave..
It reduces burning temperature through latent heat of vaporization. This causes lower muzzle velocities for a given charge.

On the flip side, if well managed, it extends accurate barrel life and it greatly reduces copper fouling.
IMO, WS2 is better. Stay away from moly.
Sublimation or does it liquify and then evaporate? The latter would also add latent heat fusion.

hey guys this may sound like a stupid question but i have alot of moly coated bullets that i want to use but have never used moly coated before, is there a downside to moly? mainly when it comes to barrel life, accuracy and cleaning ? thanks !
Be sure to strip your barrel before moly use , it also may take 1-10 rounds of the moly to season the barrel , every barrel is different . After shooting moly and going back to copper only bullets , strip the barrel again . If any part of what i said is incorrect GURU's , please correct me , i will not be offended . Thank you Sir , FK

Maybe I'll strip all the machine oil and refill with vegetable oil , due to allergies and see if they vapor trail , what a hoot . The only time i have seen a vapor trail was in high condensation , rain , on a 600 yard shot in 20 MPH cross wind , what a hoot to watch the rise, fall and round traveling from left of target to right and ringing the bell . Reminds me of watching the projectile from my cannon disappearing or the round of the cannons behind us , as their rounds popped as we watched and heard them fly over our heads down range . The bad old days indeed !

Moly is one of those things that comes and goes in the shooting world, and moly coating has been around for many decades. Its latest resurrection began in the 90's, and many of us competitive and high volume varmint shooters began using it....again for some of us. When barrels are prepped properly, moly allows for extended shooting strings without cleaning as often or experiencing POI changes, pressure, etc. I shot many HP matches, BR and several P-dog shoots that allowed for numerous rounds without experiencing issues related to copper or other fouling.

If home coating, moly can be a mess, but if one follows proper technique, it isn't that much trouble. I have tried the BB tumble method, vibrator, plain tumble, etc, and while some swear by the BB or bearing tumble method, I found the plain bullet tumble did just as well for me. I use a small rock tumbler with a rubber drum to hold about 500 22cals or about 250-300 30cals at one tumble.

Positives "I" found - Reduced bullet drag due to reduced engraving damage at LR/ELR resulting in less drop. Longer shot strings between cleanings. Reduced copper and other fouling buildup. Less POI changes with long shot strings. End of shoot cleaning was easier.

Negative - Can be messy. Clings to everything. Proper barrel prep before and after is a must, especially before returning to non-moly bullets. May experience velocity/pressure DROP with same load as non-moly, so depending on load, cartridge, barrel, one may have to up powder charge a grain or two.

Moly is hygroscopic - absorbs moisture.

You need to keep the barrel clean always, if it's allowed to build up, it's a bear to remove.

I say stay away.

Recent Posts