Is the new 26 Nosler an accurate cartridge?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
In my rifle business I am often asked which cartridges are most accurate. My answers of course are given within the context of hunting and not bench rest competition.

My reply is usually along the lines of the fact that most all cartridges I build rifles in are about the same in terms of inherent accuracy for hunting. And of course, those with the highest velocities shooting bullets with high ballistic coefficients that resist wind deflection better work best for longer ranges, given the fact that wind reading errors are the limiting factor in long range accuracy.

So here's a picture of a 200 yard group one of my 26 Nosler customers sent me a couple months ago. When I shipped his rifle I gave him a "starter" load. I explained that on my first range session I tried 4 or 5 powder weights with US869 and only one seating depth and one bullet to come up with the load.

I shot 3/8 inch, three shot groups at 100 yards with it. That's with a big cartridge case, using 88 grains of powder and 3,300 fps velocity. His reply was that he'll enjoy working on a load that will shoot into one small and ragged hole.

So a few weeks later I got this picture. Thanks Brian!

200 yds, 5 shots, 1/4 MOA, one hole.

26-nosler-200.jpg

Last edited:
In my rifle business I am often asked which cartridges are most accurate. My answers of course are given within the context of hunting and not bench rest competition.

My reply is usually along the lines of the fact that most all cartridges I build rifles in are about the same in terms of inherent accuracy for hunting. And of course, those with the highest velocities shooting bullets with high ballistic coefficients that resist wind deflection better work best for longer ranges, given the fact that wind reading errors are the limiting factor in long range accuracy.

So here's a picture of a 200 yard group one of my 26 Nosler customers sent me a couple months ago. When I shipped his rifle I gave him a "starter" load. I explained that on my first range session I tried 4 or 5 powder weights with US869 and only one seating depth and one bullet to come up with the load.

I shot 3/8 inch, three shot groups at 100 yards with it. That's with a big cartridge case, using 88 grains of powder and 3,300 fps velocity. His reply was that he'll enjoy working on a load that will shoot into one small and ragged hole.

So a few weeks later I got this picture. Thanks Brian!

200 yds, 5 shots, 1/4 MOA, one hole.

26-nosler-200.jpg

That's pretty nice!

One thing is for sure, with that much powder and heat being concentrated down that small of a hole, it wont be accurate for long!

:D

M

What bullets were used I'm guessing 140 grainers ?
88 grains is a lot of powder in a .264 bore

That's pretty nice!

One thing is for sure, with that much powder and heat being concentrated down that small of a hole, it wont be accurate for long!

:D

M

I'd say about 10 to 15 years for the smart customers who bought this cartridge with the idea of limiting this particular rifle to about 50 serious practice and trajectory validation shots and 5 hunting shots per year.

People who buy a cartridge like this have a bunch of other rifles in their safe.

I'd say about 10 to 15 years for the smart customers who bought this cartridge with the idea of limiting this particular rifle to about 50 serious practice and trajectory shots and 5 hunting shots per year.

People who buy a cartridge like this have a bunch of other rifles in their safe.

Ya ya ya....I'm just yankin on your chain! You know how I feel about bore burners. Then again, I love to get out and shoot!

Regardless, you build some NICE shooting rigs! :)

I'd say about 10 to 15 years for the smart customers who bought this cartridge with the idea of limiting this particular rifle to about 50 serious practice and trajectory validation shots and 5 hunting shots per year.

Very well said.

I like the 26 Nosler for what it is; a cartridge that'll knock down deer size game way the heck out there without a long time of flight for the bullet. I wouldn't beat on the barrel any more than my rum's (7mm and 300) or stw. I do put a heck of a lot of rounds on those rifles at times though, and the bores are holding up very well. At 50-60 rounds a year I could stretch this rifle until I'm an old man, and I'm in my 30's now.

I like the 26 Nosler for what it is; a cartridge that'll knock down deer size game way the heck out there without a long time of flight for the bullet. I wouldn't beat on the barrel any more than my rum's (7mm and 300) or stw. I do put a heck of a lot of rounds on those rifles at times though, and the bores are holding up very well. At 50-60 rounds a year I could stretch this rifle until I'm an old man, and I'm in my 30's now.
I wound up with 2 of em and I'm 50! I should be good for a spell!:)

I don't have the speed you guys are achieving...
142lrab @ 3200fps....75gr rl33...wlrm...
Seems to shoot okay....so far...
Is this speed too slow for this rifle(Nosler Patriot)....
Or is this fine and should last longer than faster loads....
I bought and compared 129lrab@ 3300fps...less accurate than my hand loads...
I would rather it more accurate...but need time....buried in work right now.....

My two 26's both were just under 3300fps with 140 bergers or 142lrab, could push them a touch faster, but they both had their best accuracy just under max loads.
The 26 that I kept prefers the 127lrx/rl33 combo. 3495fps, and easily under 1/2moa accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.