Is anyone have experience with zeiss Leica, Schmidt and bender scopes?

Kingfish01

Hello, I am looking for a somewhat high and scope basically in the $2000 range. The three scopes are basically my finalists. I want something that is illuminated but I also really like the holdover reticals. I'm also interested in a X-12ish 50 mm. Does anyone know of something really good that has both the illumination of the holdover on the retical ? Anything work better than the other? I'd love to hear real life opinions. All opinions are grateful thank you

Kingfish01,

This may sound smart mouth, but it is not meant that way. Are you wanting really good glass and repeatable turrets? Are you going to sight it in and use the hold over. If you are going for turrets you will be hard pressed to beat the glass in a Nightforce. If you are going to sight it in and use hold over you could get a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 mil dot. The glass is better than the Swarovski z5 but not as good as the Nightforce.

WC, doesn't sound smart mouth whatsoever. Thanks for your opinion. Yes I have noticed that night force tends to come out on top I really don't have a lot of experience with that company but what I am actually looking for is a holdover and my ranges would be under five or 600 yards. I am really surprised about the Bushnell though Never really had them pegged as high end. I'm not a mil dot guy as that requires too much thinking. I like the ballistic horizontal lines like the zeiss rz type stuff. From r my ranges they should be fine with less brainwork by me

If you can find one of eh Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 with Boone & Crockett reticle you might find what you are looking for. The one I had I used for a season and sold it because it was barely behind the Bushnell and two ounces heavier and I needed money for more playing.

By the way the glass in the X-6 came in between the Bushnell and the Swarovski. All three were the same on the deer antler test in low light.

Hello, I am looking for a somewhat high and scope basically in the $2000 range. The three scopes are basically my finalists. I want something that is illuminated but I also really like the holdover reticals. I'm also interested in a X-12ish 50 mm. Does anyone know of something really good that has both the illumination of the holdover on the retical ? Anything work better than the other? I'd love to hear real life opinions. All opinions are grateful thank you

What didnt you like about any Zeiss scope?

I don't have any problems with the Zeiss reticle . As a matter fact I have one on a cheaper terra scope and I like it. I was just curious because it seems other companies are coming out with the same type of thing and I'm wondering if there is one that happens to be better than the rest that I might focus on. I really don't have much experience with those other scopes. I'm contemplating a Zeiss victory with the RZ8 reticle actually

This may or may not help you but here are my thoughts.
To find the best glass for your eyes you are just going to have to get behind them and do some looking thru em!
A couple years ago I was doing a ton of research and reading everything I could find on what were the best scopes out there.
I ended up buying a few "bushnell ERS, stenier T5Xi, swarovski Z6" and looking thru a bunch of others. I like my Leupold VX6's the best and now have 3 of them. I still have the swaro Z6 and it is nice but I still like the VX6's better even though they are half the price of the swaro.

This may or may not help you but here are my thoughts.
To find the best glass for your eyes you are just going to have to get behind them and do some looking thru em!
A couple years ago I was doing a ton of research and reading everything I could find on what were the best scopes out there.
I ended up buying a few "bushnell ERS, stenier T5Xi, swarovski Z6" and looking thru a bunch of others. I like my Leupold VX6's the best and now have 3 of them. I still have the swaro Z6 and it is nice but I still like the VX6's better even though they are half the price of the swaro.

Yeah I agree with you you really have to get behind the glass and look through it. Unfortunately there aren't any stores in my vicinity which Sell high end scopes or at least sell several brands of them. There's a big NRA hunting show going on in Harrisburg which I will be attending tomorrow. I hope there are scopes there that I can check out

I went to the NRA hunting show yesterday and handled a few scopes. My favorite is the Swarovski Z6i. Very nice. Just have to find one at a better price

if you are leaning towards the swaro.. i would not look past the X5/X5i. if you are a turret twister, this is the series i would personally lean towards vs the Zx both series im sure are good scopes..i only have first hand knowledge with the X series 3.5-18 and it is bad *** to say the least.

it is lighter/brighter than my Nightforce 5.5-22 and seems to track every bit as good. certain circumstances i opt for the NF as i have the capped windage knob, but other than that its a coin flip.

I've used Leica scopes, binos and rangefinders and honestly haven't been overly impressed. They're good, but not what i expected from the name and the price range. The Zeiss scopes are all very good as far as I'm concerned. I think the HD5s are one of the better buys out there. But, there is a pretty big gap between these and their upper tier hunting scopes pricewise. They are very good, but if I was wanting to dial for elevation, I wouldn't recommend them. You really should ask yourself the following questions. Do I want first or second focal plane? Do I want MOA or MIL reticle and adjustments? Do I have to have a 1 inch tube or can I get by with a 30MM or 34MM? I gradually switched over to MIL/MIL 30 or 34MM tubes in first focal plane. Its a whole different ballgame for me as far as performance. I'd look at the Schmidt and Bender PMII 4-16 or, in a 1 inch scenario, I think you're on the right track with the Swarovski. Most people would be very happy with either one. If you're strictly a hunter and sometime shooter, get the Swarovski. If you're really into shooting, especially at longer ranges, the S&B woould be much more practical.

I've used Leica scopes, binos and rangefinders and honestly haven't been overly impressed. They're good, but not what i expected from the name and the price range. The Zeiss scopes are all very good as far as I'm concerned. I think the HD5s are one of the better buys out there. But, there is a pretty big gap between these and their upper tier hunting scopes pricewise. They are very good, but if I was wanting to dial for elevation, I wouldn't recommend them. You really should ask yourself the following questions. Do I want first or second focal plane? Do I want MOA or MIL reticle and adjustments? Do I have to have a 1 inch tube or can I get by with a 30MM or 34MM? I gradually switched over to MIL/MIL 30 or 34MM tubes in first focal plane. Its a whole different ballgame for me as far as performance. I'd look at the Schmidt and Bender PMII 4-16 or, in a 1 inch scenario, I think you're on the right track with the Swarovski. Most people would be very happy with either one. If you're strictly a hunter and sometime shooter, get the Swarovski. If you're really into shooting, especially at longer ranges, the S&B woould be much more practical.

If you're really wanting to shoot LR, look at the Khales and x5..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.