iPhone 4s Ballistic Software

Both android and ios. I think there may be a cutoff on what generation of iPhones will work so be sure to check on that before you buy. Don't forget about the iPod touch also. This is a cheap and great device for ballistic apps IMO. I have found some great deals on used gen 4 8G touches on craigslist. Touches have great battery life especially in the cold at least compared to android or windows type offerings.

HTH,

Scot E.

Both android and ios. I think there may be a cutoff on what generation of iPhones will work so be sure to check on that before you buy. Don't forget about the iPod touch also. This is a cheap and great device for ballistic apps IMO. I have found some great deals on used gen 4 8G touches on craigslist. Touches have great battery life especially in the cold at least compared to android or windows type offerings.

HTH,

Scot E.

I think 3 gen is the cutoff for ipods. Shooter requires one that will multi-task.

1. When you pair the Kestrel to the Ipod Touch with "Shooter" in it, does it update shooter all the time as the Kestrel updates or do you just keep recalculating on the shooter program. and then go for it.

2. how about all the wind data on the 4500 kestrel , like speed and direction, does that load as well?

3. and for lack of a better way of understanding, does shooter have a prediction value or table that adjusts the MV up or down according to the initial conditions that you zero your rifle for. say you do it at 50 degrees and get 2720 MV, then you go hunting and its 10 degrees..does it adjust the MV at all or stay with the 2720.

Thanks guys.

A. really thinking hard for a Kestrel 4500 Bluetooth and an gen 4 Ipod Touch with Shooter in it.

B. OR Kestrel and horus...but I havent heard back from anyone on the Horus vision and the Kestrel combo.

I don't think shooter accepts the wind data.

It does have zero weather. So your ballistics for current weather take it into account and
correct for it.

I don't know if it updates automatically from the kestrel but it is only the touch of the
screen to hit it again. I went with the 4000 without bluetooth as I've noticed bluetooth kills the ipod battery
at least 4 times as fast as with it turned off. No good on a several day hunt for me as shutting the ipod down until you need it would require that fairly long boot time. Entering
DA is quick and easy for me.

Hey Sean or anybody that can help me out,

I'm a little confused about all this shooter/kestrel/iphone/blueteeth stuff, and was wondering if you could help me.

I've got Shooter on an iphone 3gs, running the current iOS 5.0.1... I've also got a bluetooth Kestrel 4500nv w/ the Horus ATrag ballistics.

Is it possible to bluetooth my kestrel data into Shooter on my iphone?

ScotE pointed out in Shooter's operation manual there is a section addressing the use of a kestrel on an android phone, but nothing about iOS. I've also noticed in some of the above post that certain generations of ipod/iphone work and some do not. I'm confused about the "cutoff" point, and what generations will work and what won't.

As it stands right now, I cannot get the two to communicate whatsoever. This however, could be completely chalked up to my incompetence... I'm thinking that it is because apple has the iphone locked down to only connect with headsets, handsfree car kits, etc. I know bluetooth works on both because I can connect the kestrel to my computer, my iphone to my computer, but not my iphone and kestrel : /

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-James

I think you need to email Sean on that one. Nothing is mentioned for the kestrel and
iphone in Shooters instructions. Something that may be a problem is the kestrels serial
port profile which is a little different than most. The folks at kestrel definitely want the
software developers (Sean) emailed to show there is customer interest.

iOS: Supported Bluetooth profiles

I will do that... Thanks Loner!

It's not that big of a deal considering I can just keep punching #'s like i always have, but I got the kestrel the other day and thought it'd be nice if it would do it for me (i guess i'm getting lazy). Anyway, I'm gonna email him to see.

Thanks again,
-James

Does DA combine all other entries other than winds ? Temp, Pressure and rel humidity? is it as accurate as 3 individual entries?

Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts