iPhone 4s Ballistic Software

Shooter was only recently released so I haven"t had the time to put it through any kind of practical testing. Ballistic FTE has been out for a few years and I have used it quite extensively, not only for actual field use, but also for load development and records for over a dozen different rifles. Also FTE has demonstrated frequent updates software refinements and new bullet and ammo additions. Some quick comparisons:

If you just want to use it as a basic ballistic calculator, they are qiuite similiar. FTE can do just about everything Shooter can do, and a lot more. Both can be set up to operate in an easy to use basic mode.

FTE has a slick feature of being able to line the I phone on an angled target and it will automatically correct the trajectories for cosine. It works fast and accurately. If Shooter has this capability, I have't been able to find it.

FTE has the ability to produce graphs of your loads trajectory, wind drift, energy, that are well designed. I don't use this much.

FTE has a range log that can replicate your actual targets graphically, complete with cold bore shot info, conditions, groups size, etc. I do use this, it's slick.

Usability, is purely a personal preference and conditioned effect. After using either for an hour, you will be hard pressed to perceive a difference between the two in "ease of use" given you are comparing similar functions.

I believe that these programs will put the ballistic PDA's out of business at least in the consumer market.

Just some thoughts.

FTE has a slick feature of being able to line the I phone on an angled target and it will automatically correct the trajectories for cosine. It works fast and accurately. If Shooter has this capability, I have't been able to find it.

On Shooter after clicking the calculate button select the solution tab. Next click the curved arrow at the top now the Look angle acquisition button.

James

I did find one minor lack in Shooter. It will only take a BC down to .1 .
Not a big thing but it's there.
If you start adding multiple bc's additional boxes appear. So it will take
more than two, I don't know how many.

I did find one minor lack in Shooter. It will only take a BC down to .1 .

Hmmmm, I wonder about that. Though I am more comfortable with more decimal places I haven't taken the time calculate the difference between x.1 and x.5.:rolleyes:

Maybe I can't even dope well enough to measure a 0.1 difference.:) But I better darn learn....

When developing drop charts for the 270 AM and 338 RUM I used two decimal places for bc and seemed to 'think' I was doing well.

Roy, I am talking about bullet BC. Lots of .223 and .224 light bullets have less than
.1 bc.

Roy, I am talking about bullet BC. Lots of .223 and .224 light bullets have less than
.1 bc.

I'm talking bc also but who in this life would want to shoot something with that low of a be. That low of a bc would be good for less than 100 yds or so. I'd think.

So what you are saying is that Shooter will handle a 0.123 bc but nothing less than 0.1?

Somehow, which is becoming more frequent, I shifted the decimal place in my noggin to really mess up my understanding of your post. I think I need a nap.:rolleyes:

I think about every light, fast 22 rimfire out there is lower than .1 . People shoot them a lot further than 100 yards. The 17 hmr's are only slightly above .1 . The bullet
I tried to enter was the speer tnt 30 grain in 22 mag.

Scott E poses a very good question. Does Shooter have 'Trajectory Validation' like Exbal has? This allows the program to change your MV (at least in Exbal this is how it works) to best match your actual drops at several test distances you shoot at. I use it in Exbal now and find it very handy and would certainly want it on the next program I buy.

Looking at an iphone more closely now that Shooter is available on it.

I noticed one poster having trouble with Shooter 'crashing' repeatedly. Is anyone else seeing this?

No , I don't think it has a correction function like that. Would be nice. It doesn't crash,
it exits the program everytime you leave solution or table. I think it may be saving info.
or something. I am sure updates will be coming to cure it. You have to re enter, then
hit firearm and ammo again. It is a pain when you are changing velocities and bc's to
get a known load with field info to match the program output. I'm on a gen 3 ipod
running 4.3.5 . I've down loaded the newest operating system but haven't installed it
yet.

Last edited:
I talked to the guys at shooter and they told me that they don't have trajectory validation but do have a velocity tool within the trajectory table that you can adjust to get your POI to match POA. Seems workable.

They also have the ability to adjust click values based on your specific scope. Sounds a little different than what I have seen but would work just fine.

They also have zero atmosphere which allows you to save your data from your initial zero then when you pull up at a new location with different shooting locations will give an adjustment to compensate.

Those 3 items are the ones I would want in addition to the standards. Sounds like this may be one I try.

The zero Atm. I got, how do I do the other two? or where do I go for instructions?
thanks, Ok, now I understand the click adjustment, very nice feature. Still nothing on
the velocity tool. It's got an asterik, "soon to be available for ipod"

Last edited:
The zero Atm. I got, how do I do the other two? or where do I go for instructions?
thanks, Ok, now I understand the click adjustment, very nice feature. Still nothing on
the velocity tool. It's got an asterisk, "soon to be available for ipod"
Go to this site for FAQ and a manual. He said the velocity tool was inside the trajectory table so maybe there are settings inside or maybe there is an option to adjust velocity there? Haven't used shooter so am not going to be much help. It sounded like it was available now but maybe only for android?

Shooter - Ballistics Calculator for Android and iOS

The muzzle velocity tool is not yet available in the iOS version of Shooter, but it will be soon.

The crashing on some devices when you hit "back" is fixed in the version that is currently in review by Apple. Graphing and some other features are also coming in this update. It should be released either today or Monday.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.