Interchange data?

Supertrucker

I was comparing 7STW data between Sierra amd Nosler and Sierra is running 2-3 grain higher powder charges than Nosler in same bullet weights.

Is it ok to interchange data as long as you follow the "work up to" rule?

Yes, it is ok to use the data. You just need to make sure to start low and work up slowly. I have found that Nosler bullets run a little higher pressure than Sierra's at the same load level.

ST,
Already answered your own question here, and perfectly correctly at that. Always think of a reloading manual as nothing more than a report of; we tried this combination, and this is what we saw. Considering that you're dealing with a different rifle (chamber dimensions, throat configuration, etc.), different lot of powder (even if it's the same brand/type of powder) different brass and primers (ditto the powder comment) and different lot of bullets, the load in the manuals is little more than an approximation of what you'll get from your rifle. Always start low, and work up the load in YOUR rifle, with the particular combination of components that you're now using. Keep an eye on your pressure signs, and you'll do just fine.

Hope that helps,
Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets

Good advice here, too, and most of the manuals will caution against using reduced loads below what's listed. Some powders are very flexible and will handle reduced charges without a problem; some won't. Those listed by lever-hed all involve powders that are notorious for this type of reaction. In general, ANY of the relatively slow burning powders don't mix well with reduced charges. Good advice, and should have been mentioned i the first place (mea culpa)

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.