Installing sling swivel on a Ruger 10/22

jmgoodson

I have a new Ruger 10/22 and am looking into installing a sling swivel on which to mount a bipod. Has anyone done this before? The guy at Gander Mtn. told me that I had to reinforce it on the inside? Any tips would help. Thanks.

Jake G.

Wood stock or black plastic?

P1010195.jpg

Last edited:
I will tell you a few general guidelines being as no one else has responded. I do not know this particular wood stock but here is what I do on other wood stocks.

Epoxy is stronger than wood.

Rebar in concrete helps a lot and so a big metal washer in epoxy will help distribute the stress over a WIDER (don't tell Dave King I typed in all caps) area.

The stress will be on the inside of the stock so that is the area to reinforce with epoxy and washer, but a washer under the stud on the outside will not hurt anything.

Finally it pains me greatly to wish that your Ruger shoots better than mine but then I would still have the worst shooting 10-22 on the internet. The sad truth is that I can shoot standing free hand better than my rifle will group. I know I can spend a thousand dollars on new barrels and parts but I refuse to do so just to kill a squirrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.