information needed for a Rem. 722

Does anyone own a Remington model 722 in a 222 cal? I noticed that the rear of the receiver is not level with the front of the receiver...this is causing trouble with my attempts to install a scope mounts. All I know is that the production of that model was stopped in the 1960's.

I have a .222 in the Model 722. I also have a .270 Win in the Model 721. They were my grandfathers and then my dad's and now mine. The Model 722 has a Weaver 10X scope on it and the 721 has a Weaver K4. The scopes have been on there ever since I can remember but I can tell you they have two piece Weaver mounts. I think the mount heights on the two piece for the Model 722 are different heights. The higher one goes in front and the lower one goes in back. I don't want to pull the scopes off to check as they still shoot awesome groups. The .222 will have one hole about 1/2" in size after 10 shots @ 200 yards. The 270 Win. will have a 1" group of 5 @ 100 yards.

One piece scope mount bases typically have their back end bottom surface lower than the front end so they'll fit receivers whose receiver bridge (at the back) is lower than the front receiver ring.

If you use two piece bases, the one for the bridge is higher than the one for the ring.

Check the company's web site for the mount you want for that 722 and make sure you have the right one.

Why is it causing trouble? All you have to do is look up the proper base(s) for that model rifle. Real simple. It sounds like you are trying to use an improper base. There should be something stamped on it to tell you what it fits.

Jeff, Weaver bases are stamped with a number. You gotta have the chart that shows what number goes where on different receivers.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.