increases necessary

I have shoot a lot of whitetail deer at 600 yds. with a variable power scope set on 3x or 4x. I liked a lower magnification because when shooting a running deer it is easier to get them in the sight picture because of the greater field of view. If you are referring to "clicks" of elevation that is another story, and it depends on how well your scope repeats when changed. I have seen lower end scopes that had great repeatability and I have seen a few middle priced scopes that wouldn't come back to the original POI when dialed up and down. You need to test your scope on your rifle to see where it impacts at diverse ranges. Another variable is what the increments in the internals of your scope are set at. Some are .25 MOA and others are .5 MOA that I have used and others are not MOA but MILs. FWIW

As far as scope power I like a bit more magnification than not enough. That being said glass quality make a huge difference. Lower end scopes have the zoom but it gets grainy at high power. For 600 yards I would personally like 16 to 18x. Just my liking. You can do it with less but I like more because MERICA.

As far as scope power I like a bit more magnification than not enough. That being said glass quality make a huge difference. Lower end scopes have the zoom but it gets grainy at high power. For 600 yards I would personally like 16 to 18x. Just my liking. You can do it with less but I like more because MERICA.

+1 for my preference as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.