In the Ear? Really???

.....big time hog slaying delayed. The IT guys that are Forestry Service can't move their crap and have it ready for us to go in until the 21st....so right after the 5th I am heading up there and setting out my barrels. Figure that will give those "Pure Organic Hogs" time to get used to them and if I set up a camera on all three I'll see when they come to eat. Sure am wondering if I ought to drop the hammer and get some of that "See in the Dark" optics like I see most using....but am debating whether going thermal or something like a PVS-14.

....suggestions??

[B Sure am wondering if I ought to drop the hammer and get some of that "See in the Dark" optics like I see most using....but am debating whether going thermal or something like a PVS-14.....suggestions?? [/B]

Galveston, If you can handle the costs, I'd go with the Thermal. Am saving up my Aluminum cans now to see if I can get me one within the next 40 years or so. Besides, if you go thermal, when I get down to see my brother, will know whom to borrow one from......LOL

Packrat

I agree with Packrat.

IMO - I've been very pleased with my thermal units. I currently don't own any NV scopes. I had a Gen 1 unit several years ago, but unless it was a full moon on a cloudless night, it was pretty much useless. I know that later generations of NV scopes are better than 1st Gen, but I like thermal since the visible light spectrum does not enter the equation.

I've got an ATN clip on, and I'm very happy with it. I use it primarily on my Armalite AR10 with a NF 5x22x56. The unit has a focus knob, so I can focus on a crow at 600 yards at 3am with almost perfect clarity. If I want to go coyote hunting, I can clip it onto one my AR-15s.

Hopefully Double Naught will chime in and relay his experiences as soon as he gets home from filming another one of hog hunts.

I've never tasted bear. The SC DNR has two bear seasons -one for the Mountain Bear and one for the Coastal Bear. For the Coastal Bear, they issue 100 permits for a 3 county area. There are two seasons, each a week or so long.

Scmblr
You mention never having eaten Bear and that got me to thinking about all the weird and wonderful critters I have eaten over the years all over the world. Best I can recollect, I've eaten or at least tasted 3 types of Snake, to include Diamondback Rattler, Python and one other, and I'm not sure what kind it was, and they were all edible, and not bad, especially the ribs, and just about most kinds of mammal if others were eating it. Some of them were really good and I can't say that any of them were really bad, just that some of them liked my taste buds more than others. One meal, more so than most of the others though has stood out in my mind over the years.

Charlie Company, 1st of the 12th Infantry was the company I was attached to as an Artillery Forward Observer (I was actually the Recon Sgt, but didn't have a LT since the first one hadn't been replaced) and we had been on Patrol out near the Cambodian border for several weeks and were due for a resupply by chopper. The normal way of doing this is that the choppers would land, we'd unload them and then they take off after bringing in Ammo, water, "C" rations, replacement troops and maybe if we were lucky what we called Red Cross boxes which were filled with Candy, Cigarettes,( Usually about 5-6 cartons of L&M's) and all kinds of other goodies to include extra toilet paper. (If you've ever had to wipe with just the 2 rolled up sheets they give you in a ration pack, well extra Toilet paper is a luxury) if we were REAL lucky, they'd bring in enough donated Beer and soft drinks to give us each a can or two. The Beer was donated and was all of the top of the line name brands like Blitz, Black Label, Schlitz, Papp's Blue Ribbon and was all 3.2 beer and hot, but hot Beer was better than no Beer! There is another story related to this beer, but will tell it another time.

Well, anyway we couldn't find a LZ where the choppers could set down so rather than just hover over triple canopy jungle and kick it all out the door, (watch your head) the Infantry Battalion Commander got a little 3 person Bell Bubble Helicopter and was flying over our position and told Capt. N. that there was a LZ about 2 Kilometers north of our position even though our maps just showed it as raw jungle. We walked out of the jungle into a clearing that was about ¼ Mile by a half mile and was just grass about 1 ½' high. One of those anomalies that you sometimes run into in the jungle. We moved up to the North side of the clearing about 150 meters from the north edge of the clearing and set up a perimeter. When we first pulled into a position like this, one of my first jobs was to get all friendly Artillery in range Registered before sending the listening posts out so that in case of attack, we could adjust artillery onto the attacker from these registration points! Well, while the troops were digging in, the Battalion Commander decided to set his helicopter down inside our perimeter and talk to the Company Commander. Since I couldn't call in fire, because I didn't know when he was leaving and trust me you do not want a helicopter in the air while artillery is coming in. After about 10 -15 minutes I finally walked over and asked him how long he thought it would be and he said in just a few minutes so I called, put the Artillery on hold and explained the situation on the radio. No problem.

I had two Batteries of Artillery within range of our position, a 105 mm Howitzer battery SE of where we were and a 155 mm battery almost due East of where we were which meant that I could put a 105 mm Registration point almost due west of us and another one almost due East and a 155 mm registration point due North and another almost due south. With these points I wasn't shooting either over our position or directly at our position in case of long or short rounds. With these points preregistered, I could direct fire as needed if attacked. After the Battalion Commander left, I re-contacted the Artillery batteries and we put in the East and West registration points with the 105's and had gotten the South one from the 155's and had fired maybe 2 rounds and was adjusting the North registration point when a Feral Water Buffalo came running out of the woods from the North. At first I don't think he even saw us and was just running away from the rounds I had dropped and was adjusting. As he approached the perimeter, he apparently caught our smell and then he attacked. Now I've seen 3 and 4 year old Vietnamese and Montagnard kids leading Water Buffalo around and no problem, but for some reason, Water Buffalo hated the smell of American soldiers. This was second instance where I had seen them attack Americans and the first attack had come from a domesticated Water buffalo outside of a small village just west of Pleiku. That one had to be put down with a .50 cal. mounted on a APC. They just go nuts and are hard to kill!

Anyway my last round had landed about 250 - 300 meters North of our positions and I had called for a 50 meter adjustment back towards our position and it was to be my last round and I had it all registered. In the meantime, while the FDC (Fire Direction Control) boys were calculating everything, this **** Water Buffalo attacked the perimeter and the troops were scattering or diving into foxholes and trying to get away from this thing and when one soldier started running, the WB ran him down breaking his leg and had knocked a couple more around and cracked some ribs and other damage. An Infantry Sgt on the other side of the perimeter saw what was happening, picked up a M-60 MG and as the WB turned around to go back to attack the line of foxholes, once the area was clear of troops, blasted it in the *** with about 6 rounds of 7.62. He must have hit something sensitive since the Water Buffalo bellowed and started running for the tree line. While this is all going on, I was on the radio and heard "Shot, over", to which I replied "Shot, out" letting me know that my last correction had been calculated, fed to the guns and the gun had fired. I heard "Splash, over" and replied "Splash, out" which was my 5 second warning of the rounds impact. BUT we could hear the round coming in way too loud and I yelled "Incoming" and everyone hit the dirt. In the meantime, the Water Buffalo, ignoring my warning, is hauling *** for the tree line and about 20 meters before he hit the tree line, the round impacted about 5 meters in front of him. Now a 155 mm round has a kill radius of about 100 meters and 25 lbs of TNT in a 100# shell and the Capt. had been watching me make my corrections so he and I both knew that the round had supposed to hit about 200 – 250 meters out, instead of barely 150 meters, just barely putting us out of the kill zone.

Now I didn't see it happen, because from the sound it was going to be fairly close and I was trying to crawl into my steel pot and make like an earthworm, but was told that the about 1800 lb Water buffalo had done a triple backflip from the explosion and landed part way back to our lines which means it came back about 10 -20 meters or 30 – 60' before landing. Anyway while I'm on the horn with the Artillery, trying to find out what had happened to bring the shell in so close, about 120 young American soldiers were moving out to get the first fresh meat they'd had in about a month. Looked like an anthill around that Water Buffalo. Capt. N. looked over at me and asked "you going to get you some buffalo, Sgt?" I thought about it for a minute and told him something to the equivalent of "Sir, I killed it and tenderized it, I think the least you guys could do, is do the butchering", which got us both to laughing. Anyway sent my RTO over for both us and the Capt. and his RTO and since it was still daylight, the Infantry built a fire and everyone was over there roasting up chunks of Water Buffalo. Really tough meat, and hard to get your teeth through, but it tasted delicious, even half raw. One of my more memorable meals in RVN.

Was kind of disappointed in the Infantry though, cause if I'd a been in Mexico, I know I would have been awarded both ears and the tail and after a month in the jungle, could have used a little tail.

Finally found out that because they were reloading, gun by gun, the # 3 gun, which we had been firing, stopped to reload and they switched to the # 1 gun without re-computing the azimuth and fired the #1 gun with data that had been computed for the # 3 gun. Since they were about 100 meters apart, it brought the shell in a lot closer. Politely asked them not to do that again, seeing as how the FDC chief outranked me, but the Battery Commander did call and said it wouldn't happen again….EVER!....He was pretty PO'd that they hadn't recomputed the data.

Packrat

Just for the record....djones rules, no pic, no credit! But not the Water Buffalo I was talking about!

Water bufalo -S. Vietnam.jpg

Packrat

I have to tip my hat! I've made some good shots but killing a water buffalo with an artillery round from miles away is good shooting!

I've had rattlesnake before, but that's it as far as snakes go. I've never had freshly killed water buffalo either. I guess I live a sheltered life!

I have to tip my hat! I've made some good shots but killing a water buffalo with an artillery round from miles away is good shooting!
I've had rattlesnake before, but that's it as far as snakes go. I've never had freshly killed water buffalo either. I guess I live a sheltered life!

Yep...Was the first time I engaged in Long Range Hunting....LOL....I guess it probably disqualifies me as far as a record, though, because I didn't sight the weapon in or pull the trigger.....However, I did do it without ever zeroing the weapon, which has to count for something!...........:)

The meat was tougher than shoe leather and you couldn't bite through it, but could gnaw at it and get the taste! The meat was so tough I carried a piece around with me in my pocket for several months just to have something to chew on when getting tired of "C" rats! Finally used it to patch a hole in a jeep tire........:D

Packrat

Packrat.gif

don't listen to pakker regarding night optics. he means something entirely different when he says he's been looking at thermal units.

the pvs14 is nice for observation, but it has no reticle. you need an aiming device to use it as a weapon sight. i think the thermal would be much handier for locating downed game than nv.

i've shot a few pigs lately. no time to post tho. just in to grab more ammo. off to hunt again...

Well look at that!....The djones has finally found his tongue and has decided to use it. He was probably surprised that it was there in his mouth where he left it, the whole time, but the feeling of it covered with so much hair that he didn't recognize it. That's what happens when it's not a matter of being drunk most of the time, it's a matter of being sober being such an uncommon feeling!

We keep hearing about you getting a few hogs when you're sober, and excuses why you can't post their pictures, and then before you know it you're back at the sauce and don't remember how to post the pictures or even spell. Damned good thing the Milo hasn't been harvested yet. But then again, wouldn't surprise me if you're not raising a little under grow lights out in the barn.

Packrat

Packrat.gif

Since I am partially retired and have extra time on my hands, I have been doing a survey of this thread just for my own curiosity and have determined the following things:

There has been a total of 138 Hog pictures posted to this site, of which only 102 have been Photo shopped by djones. The unaltered pictures have been posted by other viewers.

With almost 50,000 views, there have only been 24 people total that have posted.

The majority of these posted less than 5 times.

There are only 14 pages where the Packrat did not post.

There are 68 pages where djones did not post.

There have been 23 warnings filed against the Packrat by LRH, mainly for advertising Packrat Products on the thread.

However, because of the above there have been 54 Packrat Tee shirts, 123 packrat Hats and 3 of the "Baby Maker" tee shirts sold for a net loss of $26.52 after amortization.

Djones has aged 20 years, gained about 45 pounds and lost 2" of hairline while all of the above has been occurring and gotten progressively uglier.

Djones has tried to pass himself off as someone younger 13 times.

While djones has been accused of engaging in Animal husbandry, the Packrat has not ever turned his back on him. Neither have any of the local sheep or goats in his neighborhood.

68% of the thread has nothing to do with Hogs and is totally irrelevant and has no inherent intellectual value!

Conclusions;
In the ear? Really??? Is one of the highest viewed threads on LRH and may hit 50,000 views by July 4th.
Because of the above and the number of views that are generated, when is LRH going to stop being so cheap and start paying commissions?...........:D

Packrat

Packrat.gif

...Packrat, I'd be more than happy to post some pics of dead hogs here but alas, haven't shot any down in this neck of the woods as I think it's just been too wet. I remember seeing a whole lot more hogs here when it gets scorching hot and hasn't rained in a while. They usually hit our two ponds to cool off later on in the Summer, so there is still some hope.
Trip up the country has been delayed until the 21st of the month so that will give me time to finish my Hog barrels and have some sweet smelling sour corn ready to load up some holes with. My friend went ahead and put several four foot holes all over the property with one of the tractors using a post hole digger. I looked at some SAT pictures and told him where to dig so hopefully I can load them up next weekend. I had him look for tracks and dig where they had been moving through.

Gonna have to just shoot some Coyotes this weekend I guess.

As Galveston340 stated, I would love to post pics of dead hogs on this thread, but work, a 4 month old daughter, a new house and property, and a total absence of hogs in my area leaves me as little more than a spectator desperately wanting some time in the woods.

I am a shadow of my former self. I spent 2 hours wandering through Once Upon a Child and Toys-R-Us today. It's pathetic. I used to have a sixth sense about hogs. Now I can change a crap filled diaper in under 20 seconds.

I need an intervention.

Packrat 6; said:
Djones has aged 20 years, gained about 45 pounds and lost 2" of hairline while all of the above has been occurring and gotten progressively uglier.

Djones has tried to pass himself off as someone younger 13 times.

While djones has been accused of engaging in Animal husbandry, the Packrat has not ever turned his back on him. Neither have any of the local sheep or goats in his neighborhood.
i hunted all night and killed a truck load of trophy hogs. just got myself photo slopped enuf to look presentable and this is what i get?? just for that i'm going to pm the photos to the loyal few hundred who appreciate me.

i hunted all night and killed a truck load of trophy hogs. just got myself photo slopped enuf to look presentable and this is what i get?? just for that i'm going to pm the photos to the loyal one or two who appreciate me.

See?.......He'll do anything to avoid posting pictures of maybe some hogs and maybe he's seeing Pink eleph....Hogs in his deliriums. As far as hunting all night, I'm willing to bet that until 2:00 AM he was down at the local watering hole and I know what he was hunting there!

Made the mistake today of sitting down and watching Television for a program i wanted to see on the Science Channel. For a 1 hour program i got an actual 38 minutes of program and the rest was advertisements. some of the Ads were more than a little personal. For example:

"Lets have a frank talk about diarhea" - Lets don't!
"Have you considered Male Enhancement Therapy" - I don't need it, call djones!
" KY Jelly, now in 8 wonderful flavors" - Is this sort of like once you get past the smell, you got it licked?
"Did your parents deprive you of a puppy when you were young? Call Kumquat Legal Services" -Yeah, right, first thing tomorrow
"Doctor Johns Blue Crotch Cricket Ointment ' - Yep, guaranteed to not pucker the bunghole, run down the heel or stain your underwear
"The softest Toilet paper made" - So soft you punch thru it trying to wipe your butt
AND my all time favorite:
"Save 15% in 15 minutes" - Yeah, by carrying the minimum liability so that if you hit a $40,000 car, you're going to pay $25,000 out of pocket! Besides I don't support Warren Buffet.

Now remember why I don't watch TV! Don't seem to have missed anything.

Packrat

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.