In the Ear? Really???

djones
Was out in the front painting my courtyard wall, which I had promised to do for the new buyers and Samantha came by walking home from the bus. I asked her if she had been into this site lately and she said her Dad had restricted her to when he was with her. She also said she thinks my little Packrat emeticon is cute!..so there!

Seems he goes in and finds pictures for her and then after she see's all the pictures, he sits there and reads the posts. She also said he laughs a lot when he's reading. Must be some of your more obvious delusions of grandeur! Anyway, the heat is off, but still am going to think about what I post because she may not be the only one.

Not only that, don't want to offend some of our pantywaist viewers that don't have the Gonads to post or comment! Couldn't even get the backlash I expected about the .223.

Is there any way to change the number of posts listed in the upper right hand corner of each post?...Just noticed I have over 300 posts and will probably be a Platinum member before I've finished my 1st year in May and don't want to have to become so serious and stolid and stuffy like most of them.

If I keep going, will probably be a stockholder by June. Hmmmm Wonder if they pay dividends! Hmmmmm, More likely they're going to throw me off before then! And if they do, I'm never going to get a chance to win that Chicken Prize for literature...What so they call it...oh yeah, The Pullet Surprise. If Obama can get one, I should be able to.

Got a PM asking why I was so down on the Government. It's not that I have anything against Politicians, I just think everyone ought to own one! Also in the new government grab to control the internet, sites like this one advocating gun ownership can be censored off the net as subversive...go read (Gasp!) the proposed regulations.

BBL

Packrat

Packrat.gif Cute, Cute, Cute....ROFL

couple things...

may be a while before i can get a pic of me in the tree, unless you want one at night. it has a few boards i can sit on if i'm going to be there for a while. originally the idea was for me to drop out of the tree with a spear but that was too easy. then i got the machete idea. it's fun but i think next time i'll just lie down and cover myself with corn. when they come in to take a bite... whack!

i want to know why you're getting all the pm's and no one pm's me? new rule - if you don't post your pm's here, they didn't happen! the only one i've received is from sweet samantha. she said your emoticon is really ghey, ghey, ghey and you secretely love the 223. i'm convinced!

well i hate to do this, but it's time i posted more pigs. i can't believe these came back to the same spot, but there they were. i was exactly down wind when i fired the first shot at the biggest because they kicked up a cloud of dirt during their escape that obscured their exit. one of the little guys ran the wrong way and exposed himself long enough to catch a bullet across the spine. ouch!

dj2a_zpsdhwrxwag.jpg

dj2b_zpsait1nru2.jpg

Hey djones,
I asked my brother tonight if he had any pictures from the ranch and he said he had a picture of one of the hogs I shot a couple of years ago, and a picture of my first Texas deer from way back when. I knew he had the deer head, cause I didn't want to keep moving it all over the country and he told me he'd hang it in the general purpose room until I wanted it, but I didn't know he had a picture of one of my hogs.

As I recall, the reason we took the picture was that the girls (Wives) were accusing us of going to San Antonio and frequenting the girlie bars after finding a book of matches in one of my shirt pockets from the Pink Palace or something named like that. We got out of it by explaining that we'd only stopped to get a book of matches to light our Cigars with, down at the ranch, and John took this picture before we left to prove we had really gone after hogs. In fact, we almost forgot the picture and went down to the gut pile in the middle of the night to get the picture cause we were pulling out at Oh dark hundred. Hog had only been there a couple of hours, but something had already been at it when we got back there. Pulled it out amid some old office furniture and took the picture.

As I remember it, though, it was the only Hog we saw in 3 days at the ranch. Did get a couple at a tenant farmers place, but forgot to take any pictures. AND the reason that I had that book of matches was that we were driving down the road, right off the freeway, on the outskirts of San Antonio looking for a place to get gas and a hamburger or something and he saw a sign at a topless bar advertising a dancer with a 64" bust and wanted to stop and see her. Well, we saw her but what a disappointment, her whole act consisted of crawling on stage and trying to stand up! If she could have gotten them twirling like one of the other girls, she could have cleared the room in seconds. Would've been like being hit with a side of beef, and about the same size.

Anyway, I may get him into trouble hunting, but around a city, that boy can get into more trouble than I could ever dream up, and always gets me in trouble. Payback for hunting trips I guess!

Back then was shooting the CMP Navy M-1 in .308 right after the CMP brought them out. Same Rifle I traded to Samantha's Dad. Anyway, just for some kind of picture on this thread since you are having to travel to Florida to get any hogs or pictures lately. You COULD get one of you up one of those tumbleweed tree's though....I keep waiting......:)

Black hog.jpg
In the ear, Right???

Got a couple more pictures from the Camera's at the feeder stations, but will milk these out in case you don't get any hogs to show.

BTW the photo shop program arrived today, just got to learn how to use it.....:rolleyes:

Packrat

Packrat.gif

Great, you finally got some hogs!...I was getting worried and even posted one I got several years ago just to fill in for you. Tired of making excuses, had to do something! I know, pathetic hog, but all I had!

The reason I get the PM's is that peons don't approach the King without going through the Prime Minister, and You don't bother to answer them anyway! Besides, most of yours would be friendly and most of mine aren't.

BUT, sInce you asked, EVERYONE PM DJONES JUST TO SAY HI IF YOU LIKE HIS POSTS!...Maybe that'll teach you!That'll keep you busy answering them for awhile. with this group of viewers, probably 3 minutes!

Samantha doesn't like hurting peoples feelings and I'm sure you coached her on what to say! AND as far as the Packrat symbols, I'm not the one that was wearing them on my white coveralls!!!!!!

And yeah, sure I just love the .223. Mainly what I don't like abut it is the hype that went with it and the M-16....Hit someone in the arm, it'll rip their arm off, in the leg, ...etc. the Army and the Marines had to hype it, or we would have all thrown the M-16 away and picked up AK's, which some of us did anyway!...Don't stir that pot, get's me very angry! Just lost too many friends. 48 years later and I'm still PO'd about the government lies.

Boards are OK, if you can get them to stay in the tree's....LOL...laying down with the hogs and covering yourself with corn sounds great...Could you make that into a Video?...Heck, I'd buy numerous copies just to post on you-tube and hand out as an an example of feeble mindedness.

Just shoot the **** things and get some pictures!

Packrat

Hey, djones, here's a picture for you!

I had it mounted this way just for you. this was actually my first Texas Deer!

Bruce Deer.jpg
click to enlarge

Packrat

Well, ya'll must have inundated djones with PM's today, since he isn't posting one of his caustic remarks about anything! The again, maybe not, lately he's been slower than a snail with a club foot.

You know, been trying to remember about that deer.... We were hunting on a friend of my Brothers place around Austin, and he had fenced in about 2000 Acres and seemed he had some kind of exotic deer running around the place and that may be a Axis deer or something. If he charged my brother for me shooting it, I never knew about it, but as I recall, it didn't cost me nothing to hunt. Heck, that was 10 - 12 years ago and I've slept at least once since then.

Really never got into deer hunting, but I do remember my first Elk. Didn't even know it was an Elk til I saw the vest!

Anyway, my brother had it mounted for me and did it as a joke,. When I first saw it, initially got kind of upset, then saw the humor and just left it. Taxidermist said he could take the tongue back off, but told him just leave it alone. Sure glad I did, as I've liked better that way over the years. Sort of expresses my attitude towards a lot of things.

Well, will just go something different til he shows up.........BBL

Packrat

Well, looks like djones has flown the coop again. Maybe by time I post this, he'll be back with a hog picture or two.

First picture is the feeder station out by the property line and I never noticed before, but it appears that there may be a fairly good sized boar or Sow back there in the background. Can't tell for sure, but I've never seen a hog that big around there.
Feeder # 1.jpg

This is close to what that Feral Cat I've got running around here looks like. Got a motion activated camera on the way so maybe I'll be able to post a picture of him pretty quick. this picture is from Australia, where they've got a major problem with them.
Feral Cat.jpg

Has anyone noticed how inconsiderate drivers have gotten to be over the last several years? had to go to town to pick up my wife's prescription and going the back way from where I live outside Tucson, there is a 2 lane road with no stop signs or lights until you get close to town, about 20 miles away. Anyway, speed limit on this road is 50 MPH. Was doing the speed limit and this Yahoo comes up behind me and apparently wants to pass, but oncoming traffic is heavy late in the day with people heading home from work and this A**H*le comes up on my bumper and starts beeping his horn, flashing his lights and yelling out the window to get out of the way. Not liking his attitude I just continued to drive down the road and ignoring him. this went on for about 5 miles and then traffic broke coming the other way and he screamed by and I waved at him as he went by. If I had used 4 more fingers, it would have been a full hand wave.

Anyway I thought to myself,, that I should report him, but by time I figured this out, he was too far away to get the license number. I would think that the county would hire a lot more courteous drivers for their ambulance's!

Packrat
Packrat.gif

Coy, that's just the camoflage paint I was wearing. Also the beard in the photo was faked.

Here's what I looked like before I had the plastic surgery done so I didn't look so UGLY!

djones 1.jpg

I hate to admit it, but back in those days I looked like the South end of a North bound horse! And pretty much fit the description as far as personality too!

Are the grand kids there yet? Go get some hogs, but let at least one of them shoot one rather than just running them over.

Packrat

Packrat.gif

Come to think of it, maybe I'd better work on the personality thing! Doesn't really seem to have changed!

Packrat

Coy,
I just picked up a Ruger Gunsite Scout in (of course) .308 a couple of days ago and that rifle would be perfect for a kid. 6.1/2 pounds and removable butt pads down to about 12 1/2". You need to get one for each of the kids and they're not real expensive either.

Got it for my 12 YO grand daughter, but am going to go break it in here shortly. Was told is pretty accurate out to about 400 yds, but don't know yet. It's a bolt action, 10 rd magazine and I really like the feel of it. Quite a change from my Springfield's. Tracks fast because it's so light., but recoil may also be a problem, again, because it's so light. Just don't know yet. Comes with a rail built in on top for accessories, so ordered a green spotting laser and an extended eye relief scope for it.

Maybe someone else out there has one and could give us a little more input on how it shoots? Recoil? accuracy? I'm not going to be able to shoot it for accuracy until after my eye surgery, but someone out there must have shot one.

Anyone?

Packrat

Well, looks like djones was out all night and didn't get any hogs and is sleeping in, Coy has two active grand kids keeping him busy and hasn't come back in and looks like I'm here all alone cause no one posted anything about the Ruger Scout I requested.

Either that OR i'm being ignored, which is entirely possible, however I know that they will eventually feel the withdrawal symptoms from my sparkling personality and will come back sooner or later for a fix............:rolleyes:

Anyway, ya'll have a nice day and will see you in several weeks, if not sooner!

Packrat

Packrat.gif

Last edited:
Back sooner than I thought. Afternoon didn't go the way I expected,

Since there wasn't anything going on, I found that me and the wife had a little time n out hands and after that ill-fated venture with the pill the Doctor gave her, she got that look in her eyes and I just happened to be very receptive to that look so decided we would re-live some of the moments of our youth!

After a bit of cajoling and quick talking, I talked her into trying to go back to where a Wesson Oil party would be a fun thing to do again. Now for those of you that have had a deprived life, a Wesson oil party is where you and your significant other put something that won't stain over the covers on the bed, cover each other with Wesson oil and proceed to slip and slide all over each other. The object is to see how long you can hold out before the inevitable end of the process.

Well after looking for about a half hour for the rubber sheets that we put on the beds to protect the mattresses from when the grandkids would come to visit and not being able to find them, went out to the garage and cut me a piece of Plastic Vis-Queen sheeting and covered the whole bed with it. I also cut a smaller piece to stand on while we lubed each other up! Now being in our 70's, we had to reach a lot lower to lube certain areas than we had, had to do previously, but eventually got it done. Now neither of us are huge people, and I was only 5'-8 1/2 at my tallest and she was only about 5'-2" at her tallest and maybe 120 pounds.

I was still getting skeptical looks from my wife, but she had agreed to go along, so we kept going. Well, we rolled onto the plastic sheeting on the bed, was proceeding along just fine and then getting a little over zealous, I must have squeezed her a little hard, because she suddenly squirted out of my arms, across the room, bounced off the dresser at the foot of the bed, rebounded off the TV stand and ended up sitting in a 4' philodendron, potted plant, we had in a corner of the room. She never touched the floor once! She didn't say a word, gave me a dirty look, extricated herself from the Philodendron and hobbled into the bathroom and turned on the shower. For the life of me couldn't get her to come back and finish the party!

She's in the Kitchen now, and still ain't said a word to me, even when I pointed out that had I been playing pool, it was a perfect two cushion rebound into the corner pocket. Women just sometimes can't see the humor in things!

Say, does anyone know how to get Wesson Oil footprints out of a white carpet?

djones will want a picture, but don't think I'm going to post one. He'll just have to imagine the scene.

Packrat

Packrat.gif

Normally, I am here for the entertainment value, mine as much as yours, but I've got to clarify something. I copied the below statements from a previous post I made to Coy Franks. For a change, I am not screwing around with djones or Coy.

"Got it for my 12 YO grand daughter, but am going to go break it in here, shortly."
"Comes with a rail built in on top for accessories, so ordered a green spotting laser and an extended eye relief scope for it." Quotes: Packrat

I did buy the rifle for my Grandaughter, however, the laser and the scope she will not get UNTIL she can hold a minimum of 3 MOA (9") at 300 yards over IRON SIGHTS with the .308! They've all learned the basics with Pellet guns and .22's, but with the larger calibers, there is the added recoil factor. The rifle may be too much for her now and she may not be able to handle the recoil, if so, will take her back to the .223 until she gets a little bigger.This is the way I taught all my grandkids. When they learn enough to shoot with iron sights consistently, then and only then can they move up to a Scope because then I know that they have the basics down!

Was down to the range today, finishing up breaking in the Remington 700 and starting the process of zeroing it. Dad was trying to teach his 12-13 year old how to shoot a .22 and they were having trouble adjusting the scope. I watched for a awhile between rounds, letting the Remington cool down and the Kid was having a heck of a time. Finally, I suggested to the dad that they take off the scope and let him try it with iron sights. The Dad agreed and I kind of coached the kid about breathing, sight pictures, etc, showed him how to adjust the rear sights, and the father seemed grateful. Also suggested they pull the target up to the 50 yard line at the next break (They had is set at 100 yds) I didn't have to do much more, the kid seemed to take it to heart what I had shown him and was blasting the heck out of the center of the target, but taking his time for each shot. During the break when the kid went to retrieve the target, the Dad told me he wasn't a shooter, but his dad, the boy's grandfather in PA., had given the kid the .22 for Xmas and the boy had been pestering him to shoot it. I suggested that he take the boy to the NRA beginners course over at another range and he said he thought it was a good idea. The kid came back beaming, he'd done very well for a first time shooter, and I left shortly after.

Basically, and this is not directed at anyone on this site, specifically Coy, as I know he knows how to train kids, is that learning the basics of shooting can be distracting enough over iron sights without the added adjustments and complications of a scope, even for first time Adult shooters. Once they have the basics down to a instinct, then move them up to the scope. I've found that in training my Grandkids when I still lived in Washington, and will again shortly, that somehow it gives them the confidence without the distractions. Both you and they will know when they're ready and it varies radically between kids.

Sorry for the lecture, but if that kid and his dad would have continued, they would have both left frustrated with shooting and we need all the kids we can get to start shooting. They are the next Generation to defend the 2nd amendment!

My sermon for next week will be on the mental stability of someone who shoots hundreds of hogs and tries to pass them off as have'n been gotten with a machete! I never should have gotten that started! 20/20 Hindsight...

Packrat

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts