IMR White Hots - which primer?

trebark

I'm still working to find a load for my smokepole. I've got some of the IMR White Hots and I'm going to give them a try.

My question is about primers. After much searching I have not been able to find any information about whether to use regular shotgun 209 primers like the Win209 or the 'muzzle loader 209s' like the T7 or Kleenbore.

What's your experience?

I haven't used the IMR white hots, But I have used standard Winchester 209 shot gun primers, Remington 209 ML, Tripple 7, and Federal ML primers. All without any eye opening results on paper. Tried them all with 777, and pyrodex pellets. When I burn up this small stock pile of components I'm going to start pouring charges and see what happens.

Tried the White Hots this weekend with the T7 primers. The White Hots perform as advertised. My gun is especially sensitive to any fouling of the bore. Any time my barrel is fouled the accuracy would just fall apart. With the White Hots, I could shoot, run a wet patch, then a dry patch down the bore and continue to shoot. I'm glad to have finally found the formula that works for my gun.

Interestingly, during my research to find what primers might work best, I came across more than one comment that the T7 primers aren't always reliable. This turned out to be true for me. I shot 20 rounds on Saturday and had three duds. That's 15% failure. Needless to say, I'll be switching to the Remington Kleenbore primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.