IMR White Hots - Oil VS Non Oiled barrel

FrontierGander

First off, im very shocked to see how slow these things are! A 100gr American Pioneer 2f charge is actually faster
eek2.gif

-----------------
I used the CVA Accura V2, 245gr HP Powerbelts, 100gr IMR White Hots, Lightly lubed the barrel with Birchwood Casey Barricade, followed up with One dry patch and used both sides to mop up excess oil. Barrel was cleaned, oiled, dry patched between each shot.

Shots One through Three are listed below.

Pretty impressive spread wise, but Velocity was a lot lower than what i thought it should be.

Cleaning the V2 again, i followed up with Birchwood Casey GUN SCRUBBER to fully clean the bore free of any wetness and oil that may have been in there.

Loaded up again with the same load i previously shot and here are the recorded numbers:

21 FPS Spread. Not bad, but still not impressed with the velocity.

One odd deal i did run into with the non oiled barrel is the crud ring. Even though it was free of oil, the crud ring was much stronger and baked onto the Stainless Steel much harder and requires 6 pumps total of Birchwood Casey muzzle magic foam, and 3 patches. This is an area i want to experiment with more and see why the crud ring is worse with an oil free bore.

I will be chrono testing the T7 pellets next time out and see how they react to the same tests.

Interesting. Post your T7 results here too as I will be interested to see them.

Last year I tested both the White Hots and T7 (three pellets each), pushing 295grain bullets. Didn't have my chrono set up, but based on point-of-impact, the T7 was running faster as they printed higher on the target.

While the IMR's are slower, they are more consistent on an oiled bore and non oiled bore than the Triple 7 Pellets.

Triple 7 Pellets, 100gr charge, winchester W209 primers, 245gr HP Powerbelt.

Oiled bore:
Avg FPS : 1787 with a 18 FPS spread

Non Oiled bore:
Avg FPS : 1802 with a spread of 91 FPS.

That really surprised the heck out to me to be honest.

Next up are Pyrodex Pellets, 100gr charge.

Afterwards, i will test 150gr pellet mag loads with both T7, IMR, Pyrodex Pellets and see how consistent these are with the Oil VS No Oil in the bore.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.