IMR 8133 in the 338 Allen Xpress

User4302021

I was able to get my hands on 4lbs of the new Enduron 8133 powder from IMR. Component list includes: Lapua fire formed brass, Fed 215M primers and Berger 300 grain OTM's.

Yesterday I was able to get out to the range and fire the very first loads. The temperature was 47 degrees and rifle and ammo were allowed to assume ambient temp before firing as verified by an infrared thermometer.

Working up in 1g increments from 100g I got to 105g before the primers just began to flatten. Out of my 36 inch barrel I was getting 3056fps recorded with a magnetospeed chronograph. I believe I should be able to hit 3100fps with plenty of head room for hotter weather. I'll update as groups come together.

Update: It is 42 degrees here today, I took out some more loads using 300 grain Berger Hybrids. I changed the seating depth in the Lapua brass to 3.892" COL, Previously it was at 3.826" but in reading up on Mr. Allens testing with RL33, I learned that he used 3.865" as his COL. Using a Hornady tool to measure touch depth, I determined that 3.892" would be 70 thou off the lands. This puts the boat tail / bearing surface junction right at the base of the neck also.

All in a 36" barrel:

105.5 grains gave an average velocity of 3099 fps but vertical was horrible (2 MOA), pressure was under max. Primers were just beginning to flatten. Group center was 1.42 cm below aiming point. SD was 22 fps.

106 grains gave an average velocity of 3114 fps. Vertical tightened up to less than 1 MOA. Group center was 3.6 cm above aiming point and round. Primers were flat, but not too flat. SD was 12 fps.

106.5 gave an average velocity of 3133 fps. Vertical still less than 1 MOA. Group center was 4.3 cm above aiming point. Primers were appropriately flat, not too flat. SD was 13 fps.

This area of 106 grains is exactly where Kirby Allen stopped with RL33 as it gave him 100% load density. His speed out of a 28" Lilja was a reported 3036 fps. That was back in 2013, pre-magnetospeed and pre-Labradar days, so I take those velocities with a grain of salt. Even still, when allowances are made for the extra barrel length, this powder is right in the neighborhood.

All in all, I think this new powder is mirroring the burn rate of RL33, in this cartridge at least. Since it is still hovering around 40 degrees here in the climate where these loads are being worked up, I think I will stick with 106 grains and play with seating depth to fine tune. That should give me plenty of head room in the load for the hotter summer months.

Thanks for the good info. I'd really like to run this powder in my 338Rum when it gets done. Seems to give extra speed over most everything else out there with heavies.

Thanks for the good info. I'd really like to run this powder in my 338Rum when it gets done. Seems to give extra speed over most everything else out there with heavies.
I have been waiting for this powder for a bit. I have never trusted RL powders, I have been witness to some pretty extreme burn rate differences from lot to lot with RL15, R19, and RL22. Therefore, RL33 was never even a consideration for me personally.

The thing that will have to remain till this summer is some temp sensitivity testing. I am predictiing about a 1 fps per degree change. That would be about normal for a cartridge this size. If it comes out less than that, then I will consider it a win.

Yes, it's part of their new Enduron line, which is supposed to be like the extreme powders but with added copper reducing elements. I'm looking forward to it. From the data I've read through, it seems to give slightly better speed than H1000 or retumbo, so I kinda equate it to something like RL26 in a 300Wm type application. I'll be comparing the RL26 and 8133 in my 300WM with 200gr ELD-X.

I was able to settle on a load fairly quickly with this powder. I decided that 106 grains of IMR8133 is where I needed to be because that is where the groups showed that optimal pressure had been reached. Then I started playing with seating depth. It turns out that I ended up exactly where Mr. Allen ended up with RL33. An over all length of 3.865" gave the best accuracy, and the load density is right at 100%.

I am getting 3160 fps from my 36" barrel at 60 degrees F. I was able to take this out to 1416 yards and plot my shots using graph paper. My resulting ten shot group was less than 0.2 mils high, and 0.3 mils wide. This powder is proving extremely consistent at the lower temps. What happens in the summer time remains to be seen.

I have only tested this powder so far, in a 20 degree temperature spread, and it has added somewhere between 0.9 fps - 1.0 fps per degree of temp change. That is fairly normal for calibers in the 300 Win Mag range of capacity, but actually quite good for a cartridge this large. I hope it stays that moderate.

I took it out to 2384 yards. 75 degree temp. Same load of IMR8133.

It was doing 3165 fps. So, it gained 20 fps over a 30 degree change in temp. That means the average is .66 fps per degree of ambient temp.

That is outstanding for a cartridge this size.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.