IMR 8133 for 6.5 PRC

Mackinaw BOB

I walked into my LGS today while they were unloading a truck. There was several boxes sitting there that said IMR on the side. Long story short we started opening boxes and I walked out of my LGS with a 8# jug of 8133. It is my understanding that this powder is close to retumbo. Anyone load this powder in 6.5 prc.

I've ran 8133 in a 6.5 saum and couldn't get enough in the case for decent velocity with 140's. You might get away with it with the 156's in a 6.5 PRC.

I walked into my LGS today while they were unloading a truck. There was several boxes sitting there that said IMR on the side. Long story short we started opening boxes and I walked out of my LGS with a 8# jug of 8133. It is my understanding that this powder is close to retumbo. Anyone load this powder in 6.5 prc.
I also have 8 lbs of 8133 but still waiting on the gunsmith to finish the build. In the meantime I've been acquiring load data. A burn rate chart shows H1000 at 152, Retumbo at 154, and 8133 at 155. I subscribed to Load Data and downloaded 49 pages of reloads many of which include 8133 for an assortment of bullets. You can go to Hodgdon's web site and get loads for 135 gr Hdy A TIP, 140 Nosler BT, 143 Hdy ELD-X, 150 SIE BTHP, and 153 gr HDY A-TIP. I called Berger, but they don't have current info for 8133 loads - maybe in a few months.
I'm thinking a safe starting load using Retumbo data might be an option.

I know its apples and oranges, but I load it and love it in my 28 Nosler, which is more overbore than the PRC. That being said, I did have hangfires with published starting loads so be careful. The stuff pressures up nicely and behaves well once you start getting enough in the case though.

I've ran it in my 25SST with 131s, way to slow. It's more ideal for larger capacity magnums.

I am using 8133 in my 6.5 PRC Savage 110 Ultra Light with Proof barrel. It is very accurate and likes full loads. 140 ABLR set 2.925 COAL., 210 M, 69.9 grs. Compressed load. Runs around 3100 fps with PA M11 brake. I may try StaBALL 6.5 next in the 140 NP for close range hunting.

I also have 8 lbs of 8133 but still waiting on the gunsmith to finish the build. In the meantime I've been acquiring load data. A burn rate chart shows H1000 at 152, Retumbo at 154, and 8133 at 155. I subscribed to Load Data and downloaded 49 pages of reloads many of which include 8133 for an assortment of bullets. You can go to Hodgdon's web site and get loads for 135 gr Hdy A TIP, 140 Nosler BT, 143 Hdy ELD-X, 150 SIE BTHP, and 153 gr HDY A-TIP. I called Berger, but they don't have current info for 8133 loads - maybe in a few months.
I'm thinking a safe starting load using Retumbo data might be an option.
Yeah I'd question that chart a bit...I think it's appreciably slower than retumbo or h1000 (but maybe there really aren't many other powders in between). It is very dense tho so you can fit a lot in a case. It's good stuff.

I know its apples and oranges, but I load it and love it in my 28 Nosler, which is more overbore than the PRC. That being said, I did have hangfires with published starting loads so be careful. The stuff pressures up nicely and behaves well once you start getting enough in the case though.
This (hang fires) further illustrates my previous reply based on experience: it's slower burning than they say it is. For sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.