IMR 4831 Go to powder for what?

I've had a .270 since 1978 my father bought me at 16. Shot 130 gr Remington factory loads a few years Harvested a deer every year
Started hand loading at 21 Of course was a Jack O'Conner fan so started with H4831 and 130gr bullets. Could never get under a 1" or so group. Not much better than the factory loads. Then found some Hornady 140 gr BTSPs on at a local hardware store that sold reloading components. Scaled back to 59gr powder and the rifle shot 1/2" or better groups just with a bullet change. I used those 140gr Hornady bullets for years Then Nosler released the Ballistic tips and of course had to jump on the plastic tip bandwagon. The 140 BTs were as or more accurate than the Hornady's but oh those first run BTs sure did come apart under 100yrds!
That old 270 and I had many great hunts and harvested a lot of deer, crows in the summer (Frontier 90gr HPs make black mist!) Finally shot the throat out of it and couldn't hold a 3" group no matter what I did I ran across a new take off barrel date coded close to my rifle and had it installed I figured I was back in the game but couldn't get my favorite 140gr load to group any better than 1 1/2" groups. Tried different seating depths, primers, varied the powered charge. Some some changes for the better and worse. Then I thought let's try some 130gr Interlocks seated at Hornady listed OAL and 60gr H4831 and CCI 200s First time out shot a 1/2" group. And another and another
The new barrel likes 130s. Moral here is feed it what it likes But back then I was paying $18.95 for a ib of H4831 and $8.95 for 100 bullets. Still have the old boxes and powder jug…

Still digging!
IMR 4831 was very good in my 280 Remington with 139/140 grain bullets. Now I use it in my 280 AI with 139 and 154 grain bullets. This powder is a old school just like me.
I've run my stock out on I 4831 a couple times intentionally and I always seem to go back to it. Right now I am using it in a 6.5 needmore with 140 Speer pills on top. Both the 143 eld-x and h4350 were chronically out of stock that it usually likes, so I tossed a new load together for my boys to shoot.

IMR4831 was one of the first powders I started with in a 7RM. Still have a little over 3#'s in the cabinet. I really don't know why I kept buying different powders to try as the original IMR4831 worked great. The H4831SC is supposedly less sensitive to temp changes, so stocked up on that as well. It's hard to leave well enough alone for me.

What cartridge is this a go to powder for? I have about 7.5 pounds. I bought a 8# jug about a year ago thinking it would be good in my 270 Win. I've tried it with several bullets and it hates this powder.
I use this powder for , 6.5 Creedmoor , 270 WSM ,7mm mag, 300 WSM, 300 win mag and my 338 Lapua mag . The Creedmoor was a stroke of luck . I was having trouble with my Remington Magpul and was about to give up . Using IMR4831 powder with 140g ELD-M gave me the grouping i was looking for .

2 Browning hclr rifles in 7mmRm and 30 nosler, and now 257wby with 115g bullets. Especially the 7mm, tried several different powders, 7828, 7977,4955 trying to shoot 168ablr. Back to imr4831 and it shoots a nice group. Odd thing is I've seen load data that list up to a couple grains more powder with it than h4831.

From May 2009. o_O

243 Winchester, IMR4831, Berger 90 gr match hpbt. Br2. Benchrest preped Winchester brass. FL bushing die. 1-10 twist. 27" bbl, single shot Rem 40X.
I always like it when a older thread is rejuvenated. It's fun to compare between the times.

My experience with H or IMR 4831has been very good.
There's is not many cartridges that you can't use these powders.
And they perform very good.

What cartridge is this a go to powder for? I have about 7.5 pounds. I bought a 8# jug about a year ago thinking it would be good in my 270 Win. I've tried it with several bullets and it hates this powder.
Most magnums 338 win mag and 300 win mag eat it up. It's not designed for the smaller capacity or smaller diameter bullets. Large calibers

Recent Posts