IMR-4350 temp sensitive???

remingtonman_25_06

When I first was doing load development for the 100g btip and IMR=4350, the temp was probly 65-75 degrees, cant remember right off the top my head. Velocity was 3350fps. Yesterday I loaded the same load, temp was around 45 degrees,but this time velocity was 3150fps. This is a new can of IMR-4350, so maybe that might have somethign to do with it?? Also, on these particular cases, they ahppened to be my trial and error on flash hole deburring. I ran the deburing tool all the way through the flashhole on all the cases. I didn't know untill later that your not supposed to take that much off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Just kinda curious as to why my velocity dropped off 200fps, accuracy wasn't exactly what I was expecting either...I ran a series of 5 shot groups with 50.8g, 51g, and 51.2g. Averages were 1.25" at 100 yards.

Hi change to a Hodgdon powder i would use H4831SC or H1000 but if you like the faster powders H4350 is just a little slower than IMR4350 so back the loads down a little and then re work them up. The IMR powder does not have the same technoligy as the Hodgdon Extreem. Hodgdon does now own IMR but they do not own the tecnoligy for the temp sensitive extreem powder it is made here in Australia by ADI and then sold to Hodgdon and repackaged into their containers and the names changed from the australian ones.
Here
Varget is called AR2208
H4350 is called AR2209
H4831SC is called AR2213SC
H1000 is called AR2217
Retumbo is called AR2225
and their are the others

Cheers Bill
Australia

To clarify, was this 3150 fps load on the same exact brass (1/8" flash hole /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) as the 3350 fps load?
I would guess if they were different cases, the rather enlarged flash hole contributed to considerably differing velocities. I use IMR 4350 in a .30-06 I load for and am very fond of it with 175 SMKs, I have not noticed a significant change in dope from summer to winter, even with varying lots. I have only shot that rifle to 600... but I would expect 200 fps difference to have a very noticeable change in trajectory.

Different brass was used. The first time out, they were nice and tight pockets. The 2nd time out was the ones where I reamed all the way through them...It was also a new lot of powder.Guess I probly should trhow those cases away.

25, Just wait till the temps get in the 20's and see what happens. The IMR-4350 will light off like a flintlock and the H-4831 will go poof and the bullet runs out there about 100 yards or so and hits the grond.

The IMR-4350 was my experience in the 270. And the H-4831 was Mike/Tx lesson in the 30-06.

Tim

I use IMR4350 in 3 different guns 22-250,.270,.270 mag. I've shot prairie dogs in the august and in October using the same load and never had an issue. With both of my .270's I shoot all summer long and the day before the deer season starts in November I shoot one last time and they are both on. Although I did buy five one pound cans and they all had the same lot number.
I would load up some more with new brass and use only one lot number and have at it.

Good luck.

With the 100gr bullets in my 25-06, I tried several powders when developing the final load. I personally found that IMR-4831 gave the most consistant, and best groups from my rifle. It varied hardly any from top summer temps to colder winter temps. However, when I switched to the Sierra bullets, the same was not the case. I went through about a full box trying to hit something that would shoot using the same loads I had with the BT. I finially gave up and called Sierra and they told me to try IMR-4350 and it gave me one hole groups instantly at 3350.

As for the load TIm was referring to, and my 30-06 experience, this was actually using a compressed load of RL-22. The particular load would group under 1" out at 200yds and was grouping just under 3" at 450. I had worked it up using the 165gr BT for a particular deer we were hunting which came out at the furtherest corner of our property. I deveolped the load, and shot it to that spot several times through the summer and fall. Then when deer season was on it's finial day, I had a chance at another buck and chose the 30-06 to try out the load. What resulted was basically a squib load, due to the cold temps and compressed charge. The round sounded and felt like a reduced load of wet paper.

I would toss the cases, and go back to new cases and you should be fine. On future cases when you clear the flash hole you just want to clean enough that the cutter gets a smooth feel to it after you clear the burr. ANymore than that you wasting cases.

I burned more IMR powder than any other brand. I found IMR to be very stable and less temp sensitives. IMR 4350 is my powder of choice for my 243 Winchester, 6MM Remington and 338 Win Mag, 4895 for my 3030, 3031 for my 35 Remington TC, 4831 for my 280 Remington and IMR 7828 for my 300 Win Mag. Live in California and temperature here varies from 40 degrees in winter to over 100 in the summer months.I buy 8 pounder at a time though, to avoid wasteful and tedious re-working of load everytime you purchased a pound can with a different lot number. Just like any powder, IMR is not immune to lot to lot variances.

I use IMR 4350 for .243, .270, .30-06 and .300 WM and have not experienced any temperature-related problems that I am aware of.

Bill,
Very interesting! Would it be possible to post a list of the cross references of ADI to Hogdon? For example, ADI 2214 = ?.
Thanks,
God Bless
Jim

Hi AR2214 is discontinued it is similar to Retumbo i use it in magnums with heavy projectiles to use it up but Retumbo gets a higher velocity with less pressure for the same charge.

The ADI equivelents are as follows

AS30N=Clays
AS50N=International
AP70N=Universal
AP100 is similar to IMR4756 but they are not the same
AR2205=H4227
AR2207=H4198
BenchMark1 is not sold in the US
AR2219=H322
BenchMark2=Benchmark
AR2206 is not sold in the US and has just been discontinued here
AR2206H=H4895
AR2208=Varget
AR2209=H4350
AR2213 is not sold in the US but is similar to IMR4831 and is discontinued
AR2213SC=H4831SC(AR2213 was changed to be the same as sold to the US as it is a larger market
AR2217=H1000
AR2214 discontinued
AR2225=Retumbo
AR2218=H50BMG

This is the list of powders from fastest to slowest hope it helps

Wild_Bill,

Thanks mate! Even though we dont get those powders by those names as a rule, I often see load receipes using them and just wonder. G'day and God Bless
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts