Improving skills

p47dman

Kind of new here, only a few posts. I come from a tiny little town in MN, nothing special here. Have hunted since I was a small boy on the farm. My first kill I was 6 yo. Deer hunting as a boy was normally a couple hours on opening day. Lots of deer on the farm, so I took up bow hunting. My first deer with a bow I was 14 yo. While I like to get as close as I can with a bow, took bear at 6 feet, I'd like to improve my long range skills. I have, at least I think, good equipment. Basic marksmanship skills, and hopefully not to old to learn a thing or two. So my question is "How do you improve your shooting"?

If you are trying to improve the rifle, I would say quality rings, base and scope (which you suggest you have). A good trigger also helps a ton. You can also bed a rifle and free float the barrel. If you are trying to improve your shooting, you need lots of trigger time. Being recoil sensitive is something we all need to overcome. I would learn to shoot from as steady of a position as possible, such as a good bipod from the prone position.
What type of shooting are you trying to improve (tighter groups, longer range...)?

Proof Reasearch Elevation 6.5 CR, Leupold VX5HD, Leupold rings. Base is pinned by Proof. Rabbit ear bag front and rear. Shooting factory ammo ELD-X and ELD-M.
Just got, range once with her so far, Winchester Model 70 Extreme weather SS MB, same scope and rings as above. Winchester base, not pinned. 6.5 PRC.
Both rifles are free floated, bedding, lug area looks good. Model 70 has aluminum bedding block. Proof has pillars. Screws torqued to 65 inch lbs. Scopes leveled. Both triggers at 3lbs.
Dry fire for about an hour last night between the two. Try to do that as often as I can. Drive a truck and am gone for 2 weeks at a time.
I can shoot thumbnail groups, but then I will have a flyer or two. So, like to stop that. Longest kill shot ever was just over 200 yds. Son and I are wanting to do a barren ground Caribou hunt. Probably should be confident at longer range. Thanks.

My suggestion is to pay attention to the wind and the effects of terrain on it. Your not going to really understand it at first, just take note of the direction and how it feels on your face every time you go shoot. Eventually you will start reading mirage and taking that into account. Like everything else, it just takes time (practice) and patience. In my opinion, wind is the number 1 most frustrating part of sending them long!

Good luck and let us know how it goes?

Kind of new here, only a few posts. I come from a tiny little town in MN, nothing special here. Have hunted since I was a small boy on the farm. My first kill I was 6 yo. Deer hunting as a boy was normally a couple hours on opening day. Lots of deer on the farm, so I took up bow hunting. My first deer with a bow I was 14 yo. While I like to get as close as I can with a bow, took bear at 6 feet, I'd like to improve my long range skills. I have, at least I think, good equipment. Basic marksmanship skills, and hopefully not to old to learn a thing or two. So my question is "How do you improve your shooting"?
come see us at Barbourcreek long range get trained correct and you will never look back!

CZ-455 or 457
Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21
Area 419 rail
10,000 rounds of SK orange/tan box (or similar)
Kestrel or ballistic app.
Range finder
At least 300m range.

Start learning to read wind and make corrections. Trust me this is a tiny investment compared to trying to learn these skills launching $1-2.50 bullets and trying to find

Thanks, but the kid is 33 yo. Broke his hand last week and had 4 screws put in it today. He is leaving on a MT hunting trip next week. I have to fiberglass a shooting V on his cast for him this weekend:)

Recent Posts