Improving Savage bolt tracking smoothness

Viking264

Through the years, I have owned 5 different Savage rifles, 4 built on 110 actions and the last one on a 10. Various cartridges, ranging from .243 to 30-06. They have all had aftermarket barrels (Douglas, Criterion, McGowan, Pac-Nor, Shilen), and they have all been spectacularly accurate using hand loads and often using factory ammo, as well. There are a number of positive attributes of the Savage design, however there is one thing that really bothers me about them, also: the bolts are always so sloppy in terms of feeding and extracting rounds. A significant amount of effort is required to chamber a round and extract a spent cartridge. They have all felt somewhat gritty, never smooth. When the bolt is at the most rearward position, it wobbles significantly.

I have had three Tikka T3s, and the actions on each one are so smooth out of the box that I can feed a round in each one by just giving the bolt a shove, then locking it down. I couldn't do that on any Savage that I have ever had. There is far less play in the fully withdrawn Tikka bolt than in the Savages. I have yet to shoot a Tikka that is accurate as any of the Savages that I have owned, however.

I've seen aftermarket bolt sleeves, such as by PTG, that take the play out of the bolt by being purpose-made to fit the actual action, but I am just wondering if the difference in the smoothness of operation is significant. I'd really appreciate hearing about any experiences that other Savage shooters have had with these mods.

Through the years, I have owned 5 different Savage rifles, 4 built on 110 actions and the last one on a 10. Various cartridges, ranging from .243 to 30-06. They have all had aftermarket barrels (Douglas, Criterion, McGowan, Pac-Nor, Shilen), and they have all been spectacularly accurate using hand loads and often using factory ammo, as well. There are a number of positive attributes of the Savage design, however there is one thing that really bothers me about them, also: the bolts are always so sloppy in terms of feeding and extracting rounds. A significant amount of effort is required to chamber a round and extract a spent cartridge. They have all felt somewhat gritty, never smooth. When the bolt is at the most rearward position, it wobbles significantly.

I have had three Tikka T3s, and the actions on each one are so smooth out of the box that I can feed a round in each one by just giving the bolt a shove, then locking it down. I couldn't do that on any Savage that I have ever had. There is far less play in the fully withdrawn Tikka bolt than in the Savages. I have yet to shoot a Tikka that is accurate as any of the Savages that I have owned, however.

I've seen aftermarket bolt sleeves, such as by PTG, that take the play out of the bolt by being purpose-made to fit the actual action, but I am just wondering if the difference in the smoothness of operation is significant. I'd really appreciate hearing about any experiences that other Savage shooters have had with these mods.

Might try this one on the Savage forum

I have a new target action at SSS getting the Fred works. I will compare that one to my other one when I get it back but that won't be till spring

If you want all of the benefits of a savage with all of its problems solved look no further than The American Rifle Company.

Thanks. I have reviewed the information available on the Mausingfield series and have spoken to the owner and gotten a deposit down on a LA. Just wondered if there was a way to bring my Savages up to the smoothness of a T3.

Seems most ,if not all, of the slop when the bolt is to the rear of the action is just the nature of the floating bolt head. Just take the bolt out and wiggle the floating head. You will probably find that the movement is about the same.

I have no issues with the slop at the rear. never caused me any issues. I have 4 Savages and none have loading or extraction issues. Though I did have to replace an extractor on one after 2,000 rounds. I think that is pretty normal for a Savage. I have a 116 that I consider smoother than my Remington.

I don't like the effort needed to raise the bolt after firing though. That has to do with the cocking ramp timing, but not a huge issue for me. I believe one of the big things that SSS does is modify the cocking ramp angle.

Thanks. The wiggle in the bolt when pulled fully rearward slows the chambering of the next round; if I attempt to fire off a few shots in close succession, I can do it with the Tikkas but not with the Savages. The issue comes up when I'm predator hunting. I have Mausers with the same bolt wiggle as the Savages when pulled fully rearward, however chambering the next round is still much faster with the Mausers due to the smoothness of travel. It's really the smoothness that I am trying to improve on these Savages.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.