savage bolt camming

Are you refering to factory ammo or reloads?
I had the same problem with my reloads for my 300 wsm
untill I contacted rcbs and they said to adjust the sizer/decapper die exactly the way discribed in the intructions that came with the die.
once I did that I had no problems
retiredcpo

Cam down? Savages cam on lift.

Here are some reasons. Savage uses a beefy spring. With that, they also cut a fairly steep cocking ramp. The other thing that causes a heavy bolt lift is that the end of the cocking sleeve drags on the bolt assembly screw under the heavy spring pressure.

There are lots of things that can be done to smooth the bolt. You can polish the cocking ramp. Polish the bolt where the rear baffle rotates. Install a bolt lift kit. Add a longer bolt handle. After all that, go shoot a 1000 rounds. That should get everything all worn in and working smooth. If that doesn't work, send it to Fred (SSS) for a Time and True.

A bolt lift kit is a small ball bearing glued into the case head of a 357 or 38 Special. The BAS is removed and trimmed by the thickness of the case rim and protrusion of the ball bearing. Install the lift kit on top of the cocking sleeve. Replace the BAS. It's a great time to do this when you are replacing the bolt handle.

So as the first reply said, if the bolt closes hard, you have a headspace issue. either the relaoaded shells are longer than your chamber, or if you replaced the barrel, the headspace is too tight.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.