Impressed with my 17WSM.

I can live with $20, as long as it's at least somewhat available and decent quality for years to come. Didn't consider that nail gun blank demand may also be through the roof. I'm sure the agreement requires excess production capacity past what is eaten up for the original intended use. Really wish more manufacturers would jump in with quality bolt guns but I don't really see that happening in this market. It's an awesome little cartridge for what it is, and legal to have in public woods here any time squirrel/rabbit season is open. Whacked lots of crows with it too, I just can't roll my own if supply ever dries up completely.
Last few boxes I bought a couple months ago, ranged from $23.00 to $26.00 a box. I wish I had bought more now.

Yep, those rifles were probably the best-built ones out there. What's strange is they quit making the 17 WSM and still make the 17 Mach II. At least the last time I looked. As far as the Mach II, I bought a Savage A 17 Mach II a few years ago. That was something I wish I could get a do-over on! I like certain Savage rifles, but not the A series. The rifle functioned ok but it's a bit cumbersome for a rimfire. I had it for a week and was lucky to get rid of it. Pretty worthless in my opinion, mostly because of the round. I shot one groundhog from about 75 yards and hit him with all 10 rounds at my disposal, and he still made it back to his hole!! The 17 WSM would drop "em" with one hit almost anywhere at that range. Lights out!! I just can't understand why Volquartsen would drop the WSM and keep making the Mach II?? I'd much rather shoot 22 LR than that feeble round. I always wanted a Volquartsen in 17 WSM, but on my budget, it wasn't going to happen. Maybe it's best since it's looking more and more like the ammo is going to dry up, and probably sooner than later.
The 17 wsm is a good little round but 150 yards for an average guy, 200 yards for a well seasoned shooter, and 300 yards for only those highly trained. at 300 yards 16 in drop and 123 foot pound anemic for gh's coyotes and fox, may drop a prairie dog,but even a prairie dog deserves to die quick and painless. 17 hornet now 300 is doable IF one can shoot,has the right optics,right trigger and knows how to play the wind.

I never noticed accuracy drop but cleaned mine at 25 rounds. Kind of figured with the speed and extra powde treat it more like a center fire rifle. Getting patches that will work with a jag ia a real pan with these 17's.
Super fine rifling nothing like center fire. Word is more rimfire accuracy is ruined by over cleaning and scrubbing with non plastic bore brushes.

Last edited: