Im supper excited about this range report!

gordonl

Ok guys first range report here it goes: my rig is a Browning X-Bolt, bi-pod, and votes viper PST 4-16x55.

Break in: shoot 1, clean, shoot 1 clean, shoot 1 clean; then shoot 3, clean and do that for 4 sets I saw my groups go from about 2 inches to 1.2/1.4 inch.
Loads were 54g of 4350, 168r A-MAX's seated at book recommended length.

So today I shot a ladder load from 53r of 4350 to Hornadys book max of 57 grains, i went up by .5 every time with the plan of getting more in depth with a second ladder test with the two best groups.
Im excited to say that at 55.5 grains i shot my BEST group ever of .72 inches at 100 yards. Now i am a little disappointed because I wanted to hit near 2900fps but I'm not complaining and more than happy with the results!! I think ill be staying with this load as it will is awesome in my mind for target shooting and dear hunting!
I am supper excited to have shoot my best group ever!!

Next up will be nosler partitions for hog and moose!

It's fun when it works nicely, isn't it? Good for you.

You did not say what cartridge you are shooting. 7mag?

Steve

53-57 grains of H4350...30-06?

If you didn't hit pressure signs keep going up, you may get close to 2900 after all. Mine will almost do it with the Hodgdon max of 59 grains in a 22" barrel like you Browning has.

Ya 30-06 X Bolt

Ok so would you recommend going up in .5 increments or since i am working at max go to .2 increments?

ok Ill do .3 and watch for pressure signs.

What do you guys do of OAL? do you back it off the book OAL by .15 and go up by .5 increments? i.e....COL of 3.220 recommended by hornady then shoot strings of 3.100, 3.150, 3.220, 3.250, 3.300? would that work? Im new to the OAL measuring for extreme accuracy.
Al my guns have been MOA with just doing ladder tests.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.