I'm new and trying to better understand my options for modifying my Tikka T3 270 WSM

copper still

I am new to this so I'm sorry for rehashing what has probably been discussed. I searched the forum but couldn't find exactly what I am looking for. I am working toward having 2 rifles for hunting no farther that 600 yards but really under 500 yards. I'm new to hand loading but have a good mentor and have been enjoying it. I have no interest in hunting brown bear. I want to consolidate my rifles into 1 caliber and I am considering .30 and 7mm.
I currently own a Tikka T3 270 WSM that I want to change caliber. The easy option is buy a 308 for the woods gun and wait until I can find a lightly used 300 WSM barrel to thread onto my 270 WSM.
My preference is 7mm because I want to build up a woods gun in 7-08. Looking through brass availability in 2022-2023 7 WSM is looking real slim on availability. 7 SAUM brass seems more available but I'm not sure what it takes to change over or what limitations I will have in the Tikka.
If you can give me some insight on what is the sensible and easiest options for conversion I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Are you stuck on the short action magnum cartridges? Seems like 7 saum brass is still pretty hard to come by.

To keep costs down, stick with cartridges sharing the magnum bolt face obviously. I do like 7 saum, although I think it's overkill and maybe over complicating a rifle that isn't intended to shoot over 500/600 yds.

I would think 7mm rem mag would be waaay more popular/available.

I just finished a Tikka build, swapped barrel/caliber, and it was easy. I went 6.5 prc, it shoots great.

There's tons of info out there, but I'm more than happy to offer any advice I can.

What is the intended use of the new rifle/caliber? Just hunting?

The .270 WSM is, MORE than, "Plenty" to, 600 Yards for most, Big Game ( even, Elk / Moose ).
Especially IF, you handload, the 140 grain, Berger Classic Hunters or, the 145 grain Hornady ELD-X's at, close to, 3,200 FPS !
Those 2 bullets, have, .525 & .528 BC's and are still travelling OVER, 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards ( @ 5,500 Ft. Elev.,.. in Elk Country ).
Yes, you can make a 7 SAUM or, 7 PRC with, 300 WM Magazines, Longer bolt Stops and a New Barrel, in the .270 WSM Tikka's.
But to, 500- 600 Yd's, the Bigger Rounds, AREN'T necessary,.. IMO
Keep it, in .270 WSM because, a .300 WSM in a Light Weight, 7.5 Pound Scoped, Tikka, WILL Beat,.. the living Snarl out of, You ( UN-less,.. Braked ).
SKIP the .308 ( Not needed ) Put that, money into, a "Good" Scope & Ammo and Practice shooting to, 700 Yards, on 10-12 inch diameter, Steel Plates, Prone and to 400 yds sitting, over stix. ( Real World,.. Hunting Practice ).

Last edited:
I would bet that 6.5 prc would fit the bill nicely for your needs. I know its not 7mm or .30 cal. BUT you'll spend less in components and have a nice accurate rifle that would likely do everything you'd ever need in north america, efficiently. I went long action with my 6.5 prc, and used a 7mm rem mag magazine, but the round is technically a short action round. You might get away without a bolt stop and be able to use your old mags. The nice thing about the tikka is, a bolt stop and a new magazine and POOF you have a long action.

The price of a new bolt, barrel, etc. in for the tikka to swap to something with a .470 -/+ bolt face, like your 7mm-08 for example, is **** near the price of a new hunting rifle. And moving up to something larger in the tikka, what with its light stock and all would beat me up personally, and I'd be burning powder I didn't need to.

My play would be to build up the tikka in 6.5 prc with a factory take-off barrel and long action bolt stop. Then I'd spend my money on reloading dies, and components, and shoot that bugger...a lot. Then decide if I wanted a bigger round OR spend that money on a new stock, better barrels, optics, etc. Over time you could turn that tikka into a pretty custom piece of hardware. You'd learn some light gunsmithing, reloading and what not and end up with a nice rig.

Like I said I JUST finished my tikka build in 6.5 prc, I learned a lot, and I just shot three .5" groups today. 65 rounds into load development. That's a personal best, and I lick window's.

I am new to this so I'm sorry for rehashing what has probably been discussed. I searched the forum but couldn't find exactly what I am looking for. I am working toward having 2 rifles for hunting no farther that 600 yards but really under 500 yards. I'm new to hand loading but have a good mentor and have been enjoying it. I have no interest in hunting brown bear. I want to consolidate my rifles into 1 caliber and I am considering .30 and 7mm.
I currently own a Tikka T3 270 WSM that I want to change caliber. The easy option is buy a 308 for the woods gun and wait until I can find a lightly used 300 WSM barrel to thread onto my 270 WSM.
My preference is 7mm because I want to build up a woods gun in 7-08. Looking through brass availability in 2022-2023 7 WSM is looking real slim on availability. 7 SAUM brass seems more available but I'm not sure what it takes to change over or what limitations I will have in the Tikka.
If you can give me some insight on what is the sensible and easiest options for conversion I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

I can understand the desire to consolidate to one caliber. I ran a 30-06 hunting rifle and a .308 win woods rifle for a number of years - worked great, from skunks to moose.

If you like 7mm, 7-08 and 7SAUM makes a good combo too, not much factory ammo around though should the need arise.

I agree with @Idaho Lefty that a super lite in 300wsm is punishing without a brake. another thing to be aware of is that when 300 WSM takeoff barrels come up, they are typically 1:11 twist, which limits bullet choice. Some longer, heavier bullets require a faster twist to stabilize...

Tikkas are so consistent that some barrel manufacturers offer 'prefit' barrels that just need to be screwed onto an action. They come already chambered.

It is possible to order a 7SAUM barrel, and rebarrel your 270wsm without changing any other parts. Lots of aftermarket support for Tikkas, so they are easy to customize and fairly modular.

@StumpyJohnson mentioned the long action bolt stop - this will necessitate switching from 'M' magazines to 'L', but will give you a lot more room in the magazine for longer bullets.

You could use the 'M' magazine(s) you already have with your 270wsm for the woods rifle (7-08 or 308). Tikkas are pretty neat that way, great platform to build on!

Thank you to everyone who has responded it sure is helpful. Alright, I'm sold. I will keep the 270 WSM as is for my western states rifle. Any advise where I can find more brass would be great. It was the challenge to get brass that made me think to rechamber in the first place. I'll work up a heavier load than the 129 gr Barnes bullets I have been working up for Deer. I would prefer a copper bullet of higher mass, so if any of you have had good results please let me know. As for the 7-08 or 308 I am looking for a 2nd bolt action rifle for a woods gun. I hunt a lot in PA and my Tikka's seems to attract every branch and creeper I walk past. I'm inclined towards a Ruger Compact Laminate but I'm open to alternatives. My friend has this rifle and its very handy on drives. He had a bigger recoil pad put on it to increase the length of pull. His is a 300 RCM and is quite snappy at 16.5". The 2 alternatives at 308 and 7mm 08(my inclination) should be much more domesticated and have plenty of power for the length of shots I have available to me in PA and Maine(where I live).

Norma, recently made a "Run" of .270 WSM Brass so, check everyone to, see IF, in Stock !
Piles of, IT are, on the shelf, in Boise, Id at,.. Cliff's guns.
Berger has, load Data for several Powders, IF,. you want to use their .528 BC, Classic Hunter, 140 grain Bullet ( Awesome, in 1-10 Twist barrels).
My .270 WSM Tikka, Prints 3.5 to 5 Inch dia. groups at, 700 Yards with, them and I shot THROUGH Both Shoulders and Hides of, an Elk with,..
THAT, Bullet,.. IT's,.. a "Killer" !
Smart "Move" keeping,.. the .270 WSM !

You can "Down load", the 270 WSM with, 130 Grain, Sierra Prohunter Bullets and 58 to, 59 Grains of, IMR 4350 ( 3,000 FPS) , for, a "Woods" Deer Load, just turn your Scope Down to, 3 or 4 Power and hunt the "Woods" with, your, 24" Barreled, Tikka !
Heck, I shot an Elk at, 50-60 Yards in, the Timber, with my Rifle, in Northern Arizona in, a Snow storm, 4-5 years ago.
I don't feel, "Handicapped / Limited",.. ANYWHERE with my, 24" barreled Tikka Rifle from,.. 50 to, 750 Yards

Are you stuck on the short action magnum cartridges? Seems like 7 saum brass is still pretty hard to come by.

To keep costs down, stick with cartridges sharing the magnum bolt face obviously. I do like 7 saum, although I think it's overkill and maybe over complicating a rifle that isn't intended to shoot over 500/600 yds.

I would think 7mm rem mag would be waaay more popular/available.

I just finished a Tikka build, swapped barrel/caliber, and it was easy. I went 6.5 prc, it shoots great.

There's tons of info out there, but I'm more than happy to offer any advice I can.

What is the intended use of the new rifle/caliber? Just hunting?
6.5 PRC in Tikka is sweet.

Update I got a great deal on a Tikka factory barrel. I had my smith spin it in on and thread it for a break. I've been working up a load using Barnes 168 TTSX. So I'm using the same bullet in both my woods gun 308 and my 300 WSM. I also found a range that I can shoot to 600 yards so more than enough for practical hunt ranges here in New England.
I just replaced the old T3 synthetic stock it was in with a CTR stock. It shoots well enough that I'll keep it until I decide on a better after market stock. I would prefer to find something that doesn't require bedding.

Update I got a great deal on a Tikka factory barrel. I had my smith spin it in on and thread it for a break. I've been working up a load using Barnes 168 TTSX. So I'm using the same bullet in both my woods gun 308 and my 300 WSM. I also found a range that I can shoot to 600 yards so more than enough for practical hunt ranges here in New England.
I just replaced the old T3 synthetic stock it was in with a CTR stock. It shoots well enough that I'll keep it until I decide on a better after market stock. I would prefer to find something that doesn't require bedding.
Your probably better off with finding a stock and doing the bedding.
Nothing is quite exact tolleranced enough to get one fits all perfectly.
Much like reloading.
THIS works in MY rifle. YOU may end up with different results in YOUR rifle.
A GOOD bedding job is your best option for optimal performance.
Mainly because it's done with THAT receiver and THAT stock.

I saw your remarks on the long barrel catching every branch & creeper, and had to laugh.

Try doing it with a Weatherby Mark V with a 26" barrel plus muzzle brake!

If you're hunting near Bennezette PA, say hi to the guy driving the red BMW X3 off-road. Lol