Idahoans sound off.

Roy,

You are one of the most helpful guys on this forum and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all your posts on threads I have followed so far. Keep up the great work on this site. It is a Gem of a site fer sure. Thanks for all you do for all here.

Andy, near Coeur d' Alene, many years in Montana.

Just north of the Pack River off 95 a bit up against the hill....soon!!

Welcome to the neighborhood. Maybe we'll bump into each other some time shooting in the gravel pit? I make it a priority to put a couple hundred rounds a month into the hillside there gun)

Yes there certainly are. Wolves, coyotes, mountain lions, black bears, grizzlies. I've personally seen all but the grizzly, and have seen trail camera pictures of them from near our place, so it is just a matter of time until one of them makes a personal appearance.

There is no shortage of predators in the area. :)

It is illegal to bait for bear in that hunting unit.

We do trap wolves in there after the bears have gone to den for the winter. I've only assisted making and carrying in snares so far. There is a mandatory trapping class you have to attend before being able to set snares and I have not taken it.

I personally have not hunted that area much at all. There is a good sized group of us that hunt together for elk and bear in a different game unit so I just watch them on my cameras and laugh at the names my wife gives the bulls every year.:) This year we have 5 bulls that make regular appearances on our trail cams.

There is a fair amount of game in the area. Big game and predators alike.

It is rough country and to hunt it properly you need time to scout and uninterupted time to commit to hunting once the season opens. I'm not in a place in my career to have either.

In a couple more years though it will be all I do gun)

Good info!! I'm retired so time is mine and hunting and fishing is the two main reasons we're moving out to the Sandpoint area. We lived in AK for 3 years and I suspect ID is pretty much like AK for hunting...just smaller sized critters.

I don't want to horn in on your hunting party but I would like to sit and talk to some experienced hunter in the area. I have been a Hunter Safety instructor since the mid-80's in AK and MD and will probably continue in ID once I get setteled. I also teach bow hunting and I'm a flight instructor so most any excuse will get me in the woods.

Thanks for the insight and I'm a sponge on new data!!

I thought for sure I had replied to this thread already, but searching through the current 24 pages, I didn't see my name so.....

I currently reside in Middleton, but grew up in Grangeville.

Not too keen on the Sheep Fire ruining my elk hunting season now...so I need to go exchange my tag for something closer.

Good to know there's so many of us here. Orofino/ Kamiah area be where I reside. Moved here a year and a half ago from Forks, WA. Never looked back. I love this place.